my chicken has swollen eye with bubbling liquid

This thread is quite alarming.  We just got a new Pullet Wyandotte.  She is sneezing, has a crusty nose, and has an eye that look like this.  We got her yesterday with a RIR, after having to get rid of our two roosters.  We have two other hens.  I just noticed her eyes and beek this morning, she roosted with all the others last night.  I separated her this morning with the RIR.   I am about to go get some Tylan for her, but I am very hesitant of putting her straight on antibiotics without trying something more natural.  

Here is her eye.  

Where did you find tylan I can't find it anywhere?!?!?!

I'm not sure if this could help but we had a few chicks and one pecked the other ones eye and all you could see was the white of the eyeball so we decided to bathe it everyday and see if anything improves. Well luckily it did but he became blind in the eye, but I'm so glad we saved him as he didn't look good at all (he's only a serema bantam). I'm not sure if u want to try this? Hope I have helped out.

Hi , I have a chicken with one eye that looks just like the one discussed here. She is eating and drinking fine. Poo is normal. Your post siad you coud use oxine to flush nasal. My question is my oxine came with a pack of stuff you mix with it. Do you use it mixed this way. We put it in their water at a mixture of 5 gal water to 1 tsp. oxine liquid mixed with 1 gram of the crystals. How would we do for flushing nasaly?

Idk about that, our oxine is just liquid. I did want to tell you tho that you can also use Tylan injectable in the eye, as an eyedrop.
If you don't have that, you can wash the eye with human boric acid based eyewash, and applly antibiotic gel, preferably the best over the counter kind you can get, that has different antibiotics in it. Ignore the part in the directions where it says not to use it in eyes, we;re talking about chickens, and it's fine to use. You have to use it at least twice a day. I soaked a qtip in the eyewash, and then put the gel on it, it thins the gel a little and makes it easier to apply. It will work, it takes a while. it's best to have the bird on oral antibiotics too.

You can use the Tylan injectable as a flush, also, mixed with sterile water, but I will have to look up the directions for that, if you are interested in using it instead of the Oxine.

Thank you all very much for this information. One of my hens has these symptoms. I do beleive they were preceded by some kind of injury, since she also has infection around her neck. I will get Tylan tomorrow. Have been using Baytril and Amoxi since i alteady had it, and Terrmycin salve on eyes. My other chickens are fine. I seperated the sivk one.

Last edited:
I have been treating my hen with swollen eyes for about 10a weeks. Tylan50 did not work. Neomycin ans polymyxin B did not work. Neither did Baytril. Out of despiration i started an eyedrop with Dexamethasone. Shes the much, much better now.

THe one hen I had with the eye infection did not respond well to the application of eye antibiotics, there was some improvement but did not clear up the infection. So I culled her. A dificult decision as she laid a beautiful dark marans egg. sigh. I suspect it may take long term treatment or start treatment early in the infection stage. Just my 2 cents worth. I keep Tylan on hand and opthalmic ointment from treating my kids.

Ok. So now, several weeks later and much Tylan, neosporin, polymycin B and steroids, the hen feels great but has this hard mass under one eye. How do i get rid of it?

Back
Top Bottom