my chicken has swollen eye with bubbling liquid

Does anyone know what to do about the hsrd mass? Other than that my hen is in perfect health.

my husband a wild bird that has the same thing wrong with it I don't know what to do it is a friendly bird and i like it any one know what to do for it

Hi,I just had to take a silky hen to the vet because of bubbles coming out of both eyes and she was listless. He has pet chickens and been in business for 35 years. He said he had never seen anything like it. He gave me an antibiotic called Bactrim, its very strong but it worked. I think it was a respiratory infection. Its very contagious. I had to separate her from the rest of my flock but everyday I noticed a couple more with it so I just started dosing all of them morning and night. 31 chickens. What a job but they are my babies, and i will do whatever it takes. I think we are all safe now Didnt lose any. Most of my chickens are very small, they can stand in my hand. They look like miniature bantams and took a very small dose .Good luck but it is contagious.I could tell every morning which one had it by looking at their eyes. One would be crusted shut and the other weak. I just kept separating them as they got sick then rotating them back in the pen a couple of days later as they got better. You could see a difference after 2 or 3 doses of the Bactrim. The vet also gave me eye drops called Ofloxacin.

Last edited:
We bought a few chickens just a week ago here in South Florida..... One got sick within a couple days..... Went back to the seller-"all sales final"..... Said to get the anti biotic at a nearby feed store...... Left that chicken with them to take care of..... Another one got sick, like a runny nose/beak..... Got some anti biotic goes in the water....... all looked good...... But this evening the one that was the sick one, has her eye all swollen shut like your photo.... Now to see what I can learn about that...
Rick

Got some new stuff, sulfamethazine sodium, and started her on it late Friday. Adds to water. Today her eye is about half opened so she seems to be recovering.... The first stuff, oxytetracycline, was working but then on Wednesday she turned bad again... Hopefully the new med will work.....

Got some new stuff, sulfamethazine sodium, and started her on it late Friday. Adds to water. Today her eye is about half opened so she seems to be recovering.... The first stuff, oxytetracycline, was working but then on Wednesday she turned bad again... Hopefully the new med will work.....

How is the bird doing now??

Here are a few things I have learned about poultry.

Going to new homes causes stress, and that can be enough for a bacteria to get roaring.

Housing for chickens need to be well ventilated. As in fresh air exchange all the time. Try looking at the woods-style coop construction method.

I have seen a lot of simple, and not so simmple respiratory issues fixed with OTC anti biotics. I reached a point of asking myself WHY is this happening. With a variety of coops to look at for examples, I found one factor in common.

A need for greater air flow.

Just my 2 cents. PRevention.

Using good housing as a method to prevent respratory illnesses, give this a good read. THere is the woods design, which has several tweeks in the particulars and at the end of the book are several other designs discussed and soem are more worthy than others.

http://archive.org/stream/openairpoultryho00wood#page/n7/mode/2up

THe other aspect is the bedding. HEre on BYC is a good thread on magaing a self decaying bedding that is nartual and very healthy. As it decomposes, pull back the top several inches and remove the lower inches for the garden. then pull the top layer back into place and cover with fresh bedding.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/newestpost/70

Nasty bacteria is always around, THE key is to keep it at bay.

Back
Top Bottom