my chicken has swollen eye with bubbling liquid

I have had 2 bantam cochins and a silver spangled hamburg come up with this sickness. They looked exactly like the chicken in the picture; eye all swollen and leaking. I never really knew what it was, and I tried to treat my hamburg with terramycin but he died. My hamburg hen was in the same cage and has never shown any signs, so I believe she got lucky and didnt catch it. I decided to leave my cochins alone, thinking that they were going to die anyways, and nature is just culling my flock for me. One of those cochins died, and the other lived and continues to live to this day. It gave her an attitude that she still hasnt dropped, though. I think she's mad at me for not trying to heal her. Poor girl. I never believed chickens had feelings until she got sick. I would try to treat your chickens no matter what, because they know when you give up on them.

Quote:
what was the name pf the vaccine? there are quite a few on that site, but also did read article about pox and i may start vaccinating for pox sounds simple enough

Ok so I did a badddd thing.... I bought a few chickens from a flea market <wince> and now I am going nuts with problems. lice n mites...check CRD.... check and now from the looks of it I am dealing with wet pox. I have one poor baby girl that is sitting here on my lap right now with a swollen eye shut and snot running out her nose. I have been treating her for the last 5 days with vet RX and electrolytes in her water. and I mean treating her like drops up the nose, down the throat, on the back of the head and under each wing. She wasn't showing any signs of being ill when I started this BTW. Today I look at her and she has this eye (the size of a pea.) swollen shut. Of course some of my other girls are droopy and sniffling as well there is no real way to quarenteen just her and I figure at this stage of the game it may be too late.

So if any of you can help me help her I would appreciate it.

This is what I have done so far.... and this was for everybody....
about a week ago
worms..... ivermectin pour on 1/2 cc on the back of her neck
lice and mites.... 7 dust... I do everybody every few months as well as the coops had a experience with stick tite fleas ugh!

then I noticed I had a couple of snotty noses and sneezers
Duramyacin ( If I mis-spell sorry I do have a chicken on my lap) everybody got it.
Electrolytes in the water during the day in the outside pen.

Talked to a chicken farmer who said kill the whole flock burn them and wait 30 days to start over..... really???? They have names! and there are 22 of them... well 20 now.
sad.png
Anyway there must be something I can do.

Then he said " or you can try... " jerk... VetRX!
So off to the feed store I went debit card in hand but smiling. 7.50 for a 2 oz bottle.
did the up the nose down the throat thing it lasted 2 days. Back to get another bottle... 3 days cause I was more careful this time.

The girls in the coop are going up and down good then bad... some quit eating altogether, some eat crumbles but no scratch. This morning I got up early and fixed breakfast not for my kids or hubby, or even myself come to think of it , but for my little feathered friends.
Oatmeal searved warm with a honey drizzle. They LOVED it all ate but 2. My new "lap partner" and one other... at noon I came out again with another batch for lunch. My other one ate but still not this one.

She is a fleamarket chicken but I am guessing a RIR about a year oldish
Her poo I have no clue ,but most are runny
her crop has food in it ( like I said she was pretty healthy just the other day)
right now her eyes are swollen, one shut.
her comb is pale
she's gasping and I can hear her gurggling
oh yeah and she has the nasty smell.
and just now I gave her a shot of honey down her throat and put her in a basket

Her coop is dirt floor with shavings ( pine low dust ) I live in Florida and we have had a horrible rainy season and I just cant seem to get the floor as bone dry as I like it. no standing water though. At night they all get into a little box and nest together.

Quote:
You've posted on a very old thread. You might want to try reposting your situation in a new thread for help. I don't have much experience with illnesses, but I can tell you that a smell with respiratory issues is typically Coryza. Only having your flock tested will tell you for sure. There's a very long and informative thread I really think you should read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=69444
Good
luck!

Since I am brand new can you tell me or help me repost this? This was the only way I knew how and was lucky to do that.

Sure, at the top of this page, click where it says Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures, which will take you to the general section. Then toward the top right there will be a button that says "Post New Topic". Click that to start your own thread. You've come to the right place, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Unfortunately what you're dealing with is quite serious, so hopefully you can get it taken care of.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I have this problem now and can add to the r&d a little.

My barred rock hen had a foamy discharge in her left eye so I read this article and went to the feed store to check out the tetracycline and the tylan and the powdered tetracycline was 8.50 for a 6oz bag and the tylan was $75 for a 6oz bottle of powder. Both are powders that are to be added to the water supply twice daily and neither are a quick fix.

My sick hen doesn't have any other issues like raspy or difficulty breathing, coughing, or swollen eyes so I don't think its too serious but I will keep close watch on her while she's separated from the others for a week and see if she gets better. Either way I'll give her a special leg band to mark her and remember that she's been sick and all that so I don't sell her to somebody on accident in case it could be spread later like we talked about above.

My chicken has a swollen eye. I noticed it after a storm. It`s not getting any better. The age of the chicken is 6 days old. I'm not sure if it`s bad, or just because of the storm.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have 7 bufforpingtons. We had a huge storm last night. So I went to check on them. I got them all out the cage, and I noticed one had a bad eye. I don`t know what happened. Is there any cures?
THANKS!

First thing I did was isolate the bird away from the rest. I started Duramycin (1/4 tsp per quart of water). Make sure to mix the medicine fresh everyday. I gave her Duramycin for 5 days. Keep her isolated for about 2 weeks. This worked for me, hopefully it works for you. Remember you can't eat her eggs for 2-3 weeks after administering the medication. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom