My Chicken Has Swollen Eyes What Do I Do? (Pictures)

LoveMyChickenBabies

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Sep 11, 2018
Kansas USA
About a week ago I had to isolate a chick from the rest of its friends because it started getting swollen eyes and it infected two others and they did not make it. She is in the house right now in a bucket that gives her plenty of room but I don't know how to help her. She seems to be getting better on her own but she is sad because she is the only chicken in the house. I don't want her to pass of being lonely but I can't put her back in the coop with the other chicks. She can open the eye but most the time she has it closed exept for the times that I'm with her and comforting her and letting her know that someone is there. Her eye is reddened and draining but there is still a lot of tears/water in her eye. It is only one eye however. Please help me!

search

(this picture is not of her but that is what she looks like and what her eye looks like)

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 8
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 7
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 7
I'd wash her eyes thoroughly and pick up some kind of eye ointment (terramycin ointment) and apply it to her, also give her some antibiotics.

Treating the eye with an antibiotic ointment, and clean out any pus that you see. Get Tylan 50 from your feed store, plus several 3 ml syringes with 20 gauge needles. Do not inject the medicine, but remove the needle, and give sick chickens 0.3 ml twice a day for 5 days. For a 5 pound bird give 1.5 ml.

You are dealing with a chronic respiratory disease, either mycoplasma (MG) or possibly coryza if there is a bad odor. Here is a good link to read about MG:
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/exte... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Here is another link with most poultry diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The Tylan 50 is given orally a few drops at a time, so she doesn’t choke. Offer her plenty of water, holding a cup up to her beak often. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom