My Chicken Has Worms - Please Help

Okay, I got some pictures. I’m sorry that they’re so blurry. The poop also looks more green in person.
Her vent:
A64D2D5E-02E9-4421-9B27-A0C407407B73.jpeg

E3E34F69-8948-45FA-9BC0-C28A7262EA3D.jpeg

Her poop (Noticed a white string thing...could be a worm? The picture quality is really bad, so hard to tell)
8A0394F8-8478-4C5E-9DBD-3BC4095013D3.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. You're correct, tough to tell if it's a worm. It would be best to clean off the feces from her rear end and do the same for all your chickens. Feces stuck to feathers can and will attract flies and you dont want that to happen.
I use a garden hose to spray off their rear end and it works great. Of course if it's cold outside, dont use the garden hose, soak their rear end in a container of warm water or just use a wet wash rag to remove the feces. Dont forget to wear disposable gloves.

Sometimes green colored feces can be an indication of worms. She is your chicken and go by your instincts since you are concerned. I would go ahead and worm her, as well as your other birds. The wormer wont harm them, and will help them by eliminating worms. I worm my birds monthly.
I recommend Valbazen or Safeguard to worm your birds. I prefer Valbazen. It lasts longer with less dosing.

Thanks for the pics. You're correct, tough to tell if it's a worm. It would be best to clean off the feces from her rear end and do the same for all your chickens. Feces stuck to feathers can and will attract flies and you dont want that to happen.
I use a garden hose to spray off their rear end and it works great. Of course if it's cold outside, dont use the garden hose, soak their rear end in a container of warm water or just use a wet wash rag to remove the feces. Dont forget to wear disposable gloves.

Sometimes green colored feces can be an indication of worms. She is your chicken and go by your instincts since you are concerned. I would go ahead and worm her, as well as your other birds. The wormer wont harm them, and will help them by eliminating worms. I worm my birds monthly.
I recommend Valbazen or Safeguard to worm your birds. I prefer Valbazen. It lasts longer with less dosing.
Thank you! We will look into that, and use what they have at the local store... hopefully they have one of those two. We will also clean the poop off of them. How do you give the worming medicine? Thanks again!

We were able to get Valbazen. Though it is listed for sheep and goats... can we still use it for chickens? And if so, what’s the dosage? Do you have to toss the eggs? (We don’t mind, but just want to check)

(oh, also I’m Starburst’s twin)

Thanks!

Thank you! We will look into that, and use what they have at the local store... hopefully they have one of those two. We will also clean the poop off of them. How do you give the worming medicine? Thanks again!
I give the liquid wormer orally to each chicken. That way you know each bird got properly wormed and no guesswork.
Use a syringe without a needle. Have someone hold the hen for you. Preload your syringe. Then pull the hens wattles down and her mouth will open. Quickly shoot the liquid in her mouth and release her wattles at the same time so she can swallow the liquid. If she shakes her head, hang on and she'll tire.

Dosage for the Safeguard liquid goat wormer is 0.25ml per pound or 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen. Give it orally 5 days straight. It's best to give 1/2ml at a time while dosing because you dont want the hen to aspirate with too much liquid in her mouth.

Valbazen dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days.

Both Safeguard and Valbazen are benzimidazoles. Neither wormer is absorbed very well in the chickens system and mostly excreted. There is still a minute amount of residue in the eggs.
We eat the eggs after worming after using either product. I'm still alive and typing.
However, if you or a family member believe that there might be a reaction to the residue in the eggs if eaten, by all means toss the eggs in the garbage for 14 days after the last dosing.

Last edited:
I give the liquid wormer orally to each chicken. That way you know each bird got properly wormed and no guesswork.
Use a syringe without a needle. Have someone hold the hen for you. Preload your syringe. Then pull the hens wattles down and her mouth will open. Quickly shoot the liquid in her mouth and release her wattles at the same time so she can swallow the liquid. If she shakes her head, hang on and she'll tire.

Dosage for the Safeguard liquid goat wormer is 0.25ml per pound or 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen. Give it orally 5 days straight. It's best to give 1/2ml at a time while dosing because you dont want the hen to aspirate with too much liquid in her mouth.

Valbazen dosage is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken. Then repeat dosing again in 10 days.
Thanks! Luckily Starburst can help me hold the chickens (or the other way around) so you give the Valbazen one day only, then give again in ten days? Luckily we have experience giving medicine, having had a few chickens that needed oral liquid medicine... thanks again for all your help!

Oh! And a few of the chickens are only ten weeks old.

Should we give them the same amount, or do what Eggcessive said and give them 0.08 ml a pound, weighing each of the 10 week olds?
8A0E21DA-6FFB-40E6-A8F2-4A09CDD1894F.png

Back
Top Bottom