My Chicken hasn't started to lay...

JuChicks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Hey guys, I got 4 new chickens in late June (I think) and the seller said that he got them as chicks during Chick Days (the one in spring.) He said that he thought one may have started to lay already. They all looked very healthy except for one, who was healthy 90% of the time but sometimes just sat there. For one month, none of them layed eggs. Then, one started to lay. Two weeks later, another. And another two weeks after that, the third one. Now, the weird one I was talking about still hasn't layed. She now looks very healthy but is just sort of bullied. Not very bullied, it's just that she and a couple of other chickens just have standoffs from time to time. She eats/drinks normally, runs and scratches around with the others (just sometimes kind of separate, she's not social), and sleeps in the hen house on her perch with the others. Anybody have any idea why she hasn't layed yet? Should I change her diet or something? Thanks for any help!!

PS They all looked young with small crowns/waddles that have now ground (except for the one who won't lay) and bright legs.

PPS She isn't a rooster because I think that I would know if she was.

1604081079520.jpeg

The ones above and below are her.
1604081108025.jpeg

The one below is of the other 3 chickens I got with her. (Some of their feathers are black because it has been raining for days.)
1604081127075.jpeg

Mine are about the same age and haven’t started laying yet. They’re doing the ‘egg squat’ and making an awful lot of noise in the coop and one was sitting in the nesting box earlier today. But so far no eggs. But they’re just on the verge of being mature enough to lay and with the shorter days of sunlight now that fall and winter are approaching, it may be longer or even next year.

Please check her crop tonight at bedtime and again first thing in the morning BEFORE she has access to food and water. In the picture you've posted, I don't see her crop, and that leads me to wonder if she's being bullied away from the food. While you're checking the crop, you may wish to bring her into the house where the lighting is good and with a light colored rag ruffle her feathers, especially under her wings & at the tail and vent area. Examine her legs, and her feet both top and bottom. After the examination, examine the rag, if any of that dirt on them is moving then she's got external parasites. Feel at her keel (breast bone), is she bony or meaty there?
Her comb doesn't seem as red as her sisters' combs, this could be a maturity issue or a parasite issue. She also seems several ounces (a half pound maybe) lighter than her sisters; hence the exam.
Please keep us posted with your observations.

Please check her crop tonight at bedtime and again first thing in the morning BEFORE she has access to food and water. In the picture you've posted, I don't see her crop, and that leads me to wonder if she's being bullied away from the food. While you're checking the crop, you may wish to bring her into the house where the lighting is good and with a light colored rag ruffle her feathers, especially under her wings & at the tail and vent area. Examine her legs, and her feet both top and bottom. After the examination, examine the rag, if any of that dirt on them is moving then she's got external parasites. Feel at her keel (breast bone), is she bony or meaty there?
Her comb doesn't seem as red as her sisters' combs, this could be a maturity issue or a parasite issue. She also seems several ounces (a half pound maybe) lighter than her sisters; hence the exam.
X2
Golden comets are great production birds. She does look like a late bloomer. Hoping you'll see eggs from her soon 👍

First, her crop is her fluffy butt correct? And when checking it what am I looking for exactly? She has been eating regularly I think, but I will pay more attention to that. I'll also examine her weight compared to the others. And could you be more specific as to what that parasite would look like? Thank you so much, very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom