My chicken is a bully!

Okay, I gotta weigh in on this. Using your fingers to peck birds can work, but holding them down or carrying them around until they 'submit' doesn't. Sorry, but these are not things chickens can or would do and won't translate in a meaningful way to your birds.

You have to think like a chicken, not like a human.

When our one pullet tried to peck me, I used my index and middle finger poked her, after a few times of that she didn't try to peck me again. I chalked it up as the teen hormones. Now she comes up as squats at my feet.

Well, you could always go all boorish, sex-crazed cockerel on your nasty hen and grab hold of the feathers on the nape of her neck with your thumb and first two fingers. Ideally she'll squawk and back away and out of your grasp. You won't have to worry about 'pecking' an eye either, nor should you have to do it very often. Chickens hate it when you do this...

Okay, I gotta weigh in on this. Using your fingers to peck birds can work, but holding them down or carrying them around until they 'submit' doesn't. Sorry, but these are not things chickens can or would do and won't translate in a meaningful way to your birds.

You have to think like a chicken, not like a human.
Agrees on the carrying around, but holding them down(and more pecks) is similar to dominance mounting and has worked IME...not that I think I'm a chicken ;)

Have you got any hob nail boots and a baseball bat?

Just kidding... You can always speak sternly too, I had to tell mine off a few times when they were sorting the pecking order out in the coop, I noticed a few harsh words and they coward down.

Nah...females can be fierce, especially hand fed ones.

Now I dont want to be argumentative but I do want to put out here what I keep reading. Hand feeding isn't automatically a negative thing I have 30 chickens right now of different breeds, ages and gender I hand feed them every day they love it, me, and know to respect me. The key is to always maintain control and your top spot in the flock :)

Now I dont want to be argumentative but I do want to put out here what I keep reading. Hand feeding isn't automatically a negative thing I have 30 chickens right now of different breeds, ages and gender I hand feed them every day they love it, me, and know to respect me. The key is to always maintain control and your top spot in the flock :)
Well, my post was in direct response to another post, which I quoted, to ensure context was understood.

Back
Top Bottom