My chicken is acting "drunk"

TotoroHeard

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 16, 2014
New Hampshire
The other day when I was letting my chickens out I noticed something odd about my rooster. He had stumbled out of the barn and seemed dazed, confused and shaky. Almost as if he were drunk. I feed him and his sister non-GMO Green mountain feed from Agway and fruit and vegetables from my garden. I wash all the veggies before feeding. They get fresh water every other day. The barn and dishes are cleaned every weekend. I just recently got two new hens from the same place I got the rooster and his sister from. The rooster and his sister are 5 months old and I've had them since they were babies. During the day he seems to do better but the past two mornings he seems at his worst. The nights haven't been too cold, ranging from 30-40 degrees and about 60-70 degrees during the day.

I've looked online for symptoms but have hit a wall. Things are pointing to Sour Crop but he doesnt seem to have the bad breath. Any help with my poor roosters problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

There could be several possible problems affecting your rooster. He may have coccidiosis, which could have been brought in by the new hens. there are at least 9 strains in chickens, and he probably has built up immunity to what's in your soil, but they could have brought in a new strain. Corid from the feed store cattle section, will treat cocci. He could have eaten something toxic that has made him have neurological symptoms. Or he could possibly be showing signs of Mareks disease. Those include loss of balance, weakness or paralysis of a leg or wing, and sitting a lot. Or he may have suffered a head injury.

Coccidiosis is fairly common and treatable if medicine is started in time. There are 9 or more strains, and some can be bad. Corid (amprollium) dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1.5 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days, and I would treat all birds. Please keep us updated on his symptoms if anything else is new. Here are some links to read about Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

Can it hurt the birds if I start treatment for Coccidiosis even if they don't have it? The vet bill is a little steep to have them say I don't know.

No, Corid is pretty safe, much safer than some of the sulfa drugs used to treat it. After treatment give them some probiotics and vitamins for several days.

I was thinking it may be an ear infection. I looked at videos showing chickens with Mareks disease and Coccidiosis and he doesn't seem to be that bad.

Back
Top Bottom