My chicken is all alone!

Anna_new_chicks

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
Hi! Sorry i didn’t know what category to post this under... anyway, I live in Minnesota and it gets (really) cold up here and my girls where out in their coop and the heating lamp stopped working. When I went out the next day I found 3/4 of my chickens froze to death but the other one was fine. It is still winter and still cold and snowy and I cannot get more chickens what should I do for her? I was thinking of getting some plush toys so she would feel like she had some friends or something but I really do not know... please help!

Do you have a neighbour or friend who could lend you one more hen until you are able to get more?

Do you have a tiled room in your house you could bring her into so she is closer to you, and not alone outside? I find my hens enjoy me just sitting with them, so if you had time to spare (looking at your phone, laptop, reading, etc.) you could sit with her while she does her thing, just for company.

I'm not an experienced BYCer, so I hope others have some better tips for you. I'm sorry to hear about your hens, best of luck to you. :(

Esjay600 idea of borrowing some from a friend sounds like a good idea however, they'd probably not get along plus there's the quarantine time frame. Bringing her in the house may work. Your idea of some stuffed animals (feather dusters) that she could cozy up with, extra bedding & heat lamp may work. I'm sure others will have other ideas ...

Sorry for you loss.

Esjay600 idea of borrowing some from a friend sounds like a good idea however, they'd probably not get along plus there's the quarantine time frame. Bringing her in the house may work. Your idea of some stuffed animals (feather dusters) that she could cozy up with, extra bedding & heat lamp may work. I'm sure others will have other ideas ...

Sorry for you loss.

Yes, you're right. I completely overlooked the quarantine issue.

I have successfully brought chickens into the house, housing them in a large dog crate. Put the chicken in a busy room so it will have company. Give it things to do. I've given a lone chicken corn on the cob, so it can pluck out the kernels, or a seed block, or maybe a special snack of dried mealworms from time to time to break up the monotomy. And I've put a mirror in the cage, so that the bird could look at itself in the mirror. They will do this, if they long for chicken company. It's not the best of circumstances, but it is better than leaving the little one outside alone in the cold.

ChickNanny13,

You wouldn't happen to be located somewhere within an hour of Memphis, TN are you? Cuz I could give you a hen or two to keep your little lady company if you are.

Back
Top Bottom