My chicken is dying... What do I do?

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
So my 4 y/o ISA brown is finally declining... she has been on the outs for awhile now and after constant separation and trying to fix all sorts of issues, I began to realize more than likely she is suffering from a reproductive disorder since that’s why the symptoms looked like they were pointing towards. I decided to let her be and let nature take its course (she was still perking up for treat time, going in and out of coop, eating and drinking, roosting) unless she started to rapidly decline and seem to be suffering. Well that time has come, we separated her last night and this morning I found her barely conscious. Now she’s inside, laying on her side next to a heat vent on a comfortable bed of shavings. Problem is, my husband won’t be home until 4:30 to put her down and my neighbors don’t seem awake yet (they have chickens and I know someone over there can help me euthanize her). Please don’t judge me, I just can’t do it. She doesn’t seem to be suffering, she is barely conscious and I just see a little movement from her breathing. Is she suffering? Or is she in that in between zone, or is it impossible to know and I should put her out of her misery ASAP?

oh no poor girl would I mix together 500mg of ground up acetaminophen (Tylenol) with two tablets, each 100mg, of Valerian root and made a liquid. Both acetaminophen and Valerian root calm nerves and muscles and is deadly to a chicken in these quantities. I gave my chicken this mix through a dropper in her mouth, and within half an hour I could notice her becoming increasingly relaxed. However, this method may take a while for the effects. - read this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ways-to-euthanize-a-chicken.68064/

oh no poor girl would I mix together 500mg of ground up acetaminophen (Tylenol) with two tablets, each 100mg, of Valerian root and made a liquid. Both acetaminophen and Valerian root calm nerves and muscles and is deadly to a chicken in these quantities. I gave my chicken this mix through a dropper in her mouth, and within half an hour I could notice her becoming increasingly relaxed. However, this method may take a while for the effects. - read this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ways-to-euthanize-a-chicken.68064/
Ok I have both of those things. Thank you so much; I don’t think I could handle head lobbing or neck twisting.

Happy to help, I'm so sorry ❤
Eh, part of life. I’m still sad though, just wanted her to be warm and with me in her passing. I ended up not needing the concoction as she passed right as I got up to find the Tylenol - heard a little twitch and then nothing. I am going to store her in a cold place and see about a necropsy to confirm my suspicions of reproductive disease. Thank you again for your quick response.

Eh, part of life. I’m still sad though, just wanted her to be warm and with me in her passing. I ended up not needing the concoction as she passed right as I got up to find the Tylenol - heard a little twitch and then nothing. I am going to store her in a cold place and see about a necropsy to confirm my suspicions of reproductive disease. Thank you again for your quick response.
I'm glad your ok, I wouldn't nave been 😟

Back
Top Bottom