my chicken is egg is stuck in her help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nicokl502

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Kansas City Mo
so today found two eggs ,its the 1st for my 5 month old hens i was so happy! then tonight i looked at one of my gals and it looked like she had a egg stuck in her and i don't know what too do. i have her in warm water right now and she seem to like it but i am not sure what to do????????

Last week I had a bantam hen who couldn't lay her egg. I soaked her. That didn't help. I put olive oil in her vent and felt around the egg and made sure it could move. She still couldn't get it out and she would strain really hard and grunt so I know she was in distress. I had her on my lap and had pm'd someone to see what else to do. I really didn't want to break the egg in her. She bore down again and I decided one way or the other we were getting it out. I could feel the egg near the vent so I grabbed behind it and helped push it toward the vent. I could see it crown but it would not come out so I took my finger and worked her vent around it and it popped out. Now to warn you, I wish I had known. The trauma seems to have caused her to get vent gleet and I am dealing with that now...in addition I do believe she is blind. I think she must have had that egg in her for several days. I thought she had gone broody. Good luck!
sharon

During a warm bath massage the vent area gently, so you don't break the egg. Then get her out, blow dry her and put mineral oil in her vent. Put her in a dark place, like a closet.

thank you guys so much i have had her in warm water for an hour and massage the vent area and put oil on the vent she is now in a dark place but i am not sure how long to leave her in there ? she feel asleep while i the water it was very cute i feel so bad for her it her 1st egg and this has to happen, it my 1st time owning chickens i am not sure what to do, it is hanging out of the vent in i guess you would call in a sack and i am not sure if it comes to getting the egg out how to do it? thanks again for all your help

You can leave her in the closet all night. Hopefully, someone that has had the same situation with the egg hanging out with a the membrane looking thing around it can help you out. I'm not sure if how you go about getting the egg out of that.

I would give her water but they usually don't eat or drink at night.

There are threads linked on the FAQ page about prolapse. Sounds like she has prolapsed; the sac you see around the egg is her insides, I would imagine. Usually it is just the insides, not an egg as well. Not sure it can be fixed successfully without surgery. If she hasn't gotten it out by morning I would grease her up thoroughly with whatever grease or oil you have and try to get it to slide out.

I sent you an email from your PM to me. Have you gotten the egg loose? Once it was hanging outside of my hens body, I did break the egg to remove all the pieces. Then I began working on getting the vent to go back inside (preparation H or/sugar). If you have any questions from my email, just let me know. My hen went on to be a successful layer afterwards, so don't listen to people that want you to cull her (if you get that advice) At least not until you've tried everything.
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom