My Chicken is getting bullied! What should I do!?

Lydiamarie22

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2019
I have 4 chickens, a barred rock, buff Orpington, and 2 Easter Eggers. I’ve have them since they were chicks since April. I started noticing that once if the Easter eggers Donna seemed like she lost some feathers on her head. Soon we had a snow storm so I brought the chickens into my unfinished basement. I got a closer look at Donna and she seemed light, not very heavy. One day while they were down there my mom head them being very loud. The other Easter Egger Lily was pecking at Donna. So we found out the pecker. So we took out Lily from the others and put her in her own area for a couple days so she couldn’t harm Donna. Soon the weather got better and we put all the chickens back in there coop. It seemed like Lily wasn’t pecking at Donna but she still seems bossy with her and it makes Donna nervous and stressed and she seems like she’s bullied. So we separated Lily again, she is currently in my basement. I don’t know if I should get rid of Lily or what! What should I do!!?

Please read this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Long ago, I figured out that the best way to address a bullying issue is to treat the victim. Common wisdom dictates that you do just what you did by removing Lilly, when it's really Donna that needs the attention.

Why? Because chronic victims behave in a manner that encourages the bullies. Rehabilitating the victim will remove the victim behavior and the bully will have nothing to trigger her bullying.

My program calls for the victim to be in a safe enclosure within the run. She will have her own food and water and will be able to regain the weight she's lost from being bullied away from food. She will gain strength and self confidence. She will learn to stand up for herself. The bullying will end.

Please read this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Long ago, I figured out that the best way to address a bullying issue is to treat the victim. Common wisdom dictates that you do just what you did by removing Lilly, when it's really Donna that needs the attention.

Why? Because chronic victims behave in a manner that encourages the bullies. Rehabilitating the victim will remove the victim behavior and the bully will have nothing to trigger her bullying.

My program calls for the victim to be in a safe enclosure within the run. She will have her own food and water and will be able to regain the weight she's lost from being bullied away from food. She will gain strength and self confidence. She will learn to stand up for herself. The bullying will end.
I will definitely try that!

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics would help immensely here.

Where in this world are you located @Lydiamarie22?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579696878505.png

Chickens aren't like human toddlers that need constant attention and mirroring/feedback from us humans. They derive their self confidence and sense of belonging from their relationships with each flock member. We humans are incidental and useful as staff to supply food and shelter. A few will come to enjoy occasional human contact, but being denied that attention is not going to put a dent in their little psyches.

Lilly is bullying Donna because something in her temperament is stimulated by a flock member who happens not to be willing to stand up for herself. This sets off a cycle of the timid chicken triggering the aggressive chicken, and the bullying makes the timid chicken even more neurotic which triggers and excites the bully. Round and round we go.

You need to break the cycle by enabling the timid hen to stand up for herself.

Back
Top Bottom