My chicken is laying flat sided eggs?

christyschickens2022

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2022
I have been getting for the past couple of days one flat sided egg, not sure why... my girls get plenty of calcium and lots of herbs to keep them healthy. Any ideas what it could be? I cracked one of the eggs and the yolk looks fine.

Attachments

• 20230207_132550.jpg
    20230207_132550.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230207_132556.jpg
    20230207_132556.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 9
How old is this bird, in weeks or months, and how long has she been laying??
Has she always laid slabsided eggs?
Could be a respiratory disease, or stress, or a glitchy shell gland.

I have a 7 month old RIR hen that is laying daily now a flat sided egg. Opposite sides flat and the other two opposite sides are normal. The first time I didn't pay much attention but now she has done it 3 days in a row. The shells are perfectly normal in hardness. No lack of calcium available.

edit

Once camera battery is charged I'll post a photo. These eggs look as if they were put in a vise and flattened. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think sometimes people have a false sense of normal egg shapes. It comes from most of us buying eggs in the store. Those are perfect eggs...not because those hens always lay perfect eggs, but because they have been sorted.

There is nothing wrong with those eggs- less that perfect eggs are used in bakeries and cooking and are perfectly safe.

So when people start raising their own eggs and get some odd ball shapes, there is a tendency to think something is wrong...something that should be FIXED.

Really there isn't much you can do if you want to keep the bird. Laying is like most bodily functions, sometimes it looks this way, and sometimes it looks that way.

Mrs K

I think sometimes people have a false sense of normal egg shapes. It comes from most of us buying eggs in the store. Those are perfect eggs...not because those hens always lay perfect eggs, but because they have been sorted.

There is nothing wrong with those eggs- less that perfect eggs are used in bakeries and cooking and are perfectly safe.

So when people start raising their own eggs and get some odd ball shapes, there is a tendency to think something is wrong...something that should be FIXED.

Really there isn't much you can do if you want to keep the bird. Laying is like most bodily functions, sometimes it looks this way, and sometimes it looks that way.

Mrs K
Absolutely nothing wrong with them I've just never seen eggs before that you could do this with... I don't think I will incubate these though. :)

Attachments

• Flat eggs.jpg
    Flat eggs.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom