My chicken is limping!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missk, Sep 16, 2013.

1. missk

missk New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Cheshire , United Kingdom
    [​IMG][/IMG]hi, I have a Daisy Bell approximately 9 months old. Cleo was limping when I got her, but she had been henpecked so I put it down to that! However, when I picked her up yesterday, my partner noticed this wart like thing on her foot!
    Does anyone know what it might be , or how I can cure it?

2. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I would suggest going to the learning center above and check out bumblefoot. There are how-to's all about it!

3. missk

missk New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks! I'll do that!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like it could be bumblefoot, which is an infection in the footpad. Bumblefoot occurs if the bird injures it foot (by stepping accidentally on a sharp wood chip, broken wire, etc, or by jumping down from too high a roost). It first appears as a small black scab, but can cause the foot to become swollen.

You can try soaking the foot in an epsom salt bath daily for a week or so, and see if that helps. Giving antibiotics like Penicillin might also help, as it is caused by a bacterial infection. It is possible that it will require surgery to remove the core. Here is some information on that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

Hope this helps!

5. missk

missk New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Thank you for the feedback.... It doesn't have a black spot though! Is more raised, like a wart ... Could it still be bumble foot?

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it could be(and likely is) still bumblefoot.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

8. missk

missk New Egg

Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks again folks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by