My chicken is roosting in a tree not the coop...Help!

juliemcummings

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
This is my 1st year raising chickens and so far it has been awesome!!! But over the last few weeks one of my chickens won’t roost in the coop at night and roosts in a nearby tree, so I have to climb the tree and put him in the coop. it’s a pain but it wasn’t that bad till the last few days there have been 2 chickens in the tree and then tonight there were 3. Is there something I can do to discourage them from roosting there? Is there something wrong with my coop? The only thing I can think of is we just realized on of our chicks is a rooster, could that be the reason they don’t want to go into the coop?

You must lock them in the coop, and do what it takes so they can no longer access the tree because owls will remove them at night one by one til all are gone. Either cut off the lower limbs or fence that tree off. Lob water balloons at them...whatever it takes so they know it's off limits and/or not safe place to roost. It usually takes three days of coop confinement to change a pattern, but whatever you decide, do it soon.

Last night I wasn't home till late. But I had told my boyfriend to try the water balloons or water gun. I guess he just used the hose instead :( but I guess it worked.
3 birds had tried to roost in the tree he squirted them with the hose (lightly) and they all got out and ran to the coop, 2 ran right back out and up the tree so he squired them again, 1 ran back out and up the tree so he squired that one and when she was in the coop he closed them in. now lets see if this will become a nightly ritual...

Bump! I'm having the same problem! It started with my leghorn Roo and and lady friend, but last night it was all 8 of them! (I also have a sebright roo).

What should I do? They are completely free ranging... Would removing the Roos from the pack make a difference? (I'm extra motivated to give them away because they are super loud and being up in a tree crowing all night makes it worse)

Chickens feel safer roosting higher up so the trees are probably the best place that they can see, I have a tree in the back garden but my chickens have never attempted to roost in it though they are not of a breed that can fly well so this could be why as some chickens fly better than others! this is definitely to be discouraged though as it leaves them open to predators, all I can suggest is that you go out there before they go to roost and encourage them into the coop with some scratch and then close them in for the night, doing this for a few weeks should break them out of the habit hopefully!

This is moving up on my urgent scale - I have two missing this morning :( My leghorn roo and my favorite BR). The bribing them in at dinner time worked for 2 days, but last night I didn't get home until 45m before sunset and they were already up in the trees.

Stupid chickens :(

They are going to be so sad if I lock them up... They were stir crazy after a long weekend we went away and they stayed in the coop/run. But, I can't risk it, 3 days will be up before the weekend, and then I can work on the 'scare' factor in certain areas too.

Thanks!

You must lock them in the coop, and do what it takes so they can no longer access the tree because owls will remove them at night one by one til all are gone. Either cut off the lower limbs or fence that tree off. Lob water balloons at them...whatever it takes so they know it's off limits and/or not safe place to roost. It usually takes three days of coop confinement to change a pattern, but whatever you decide, do it soon.

I went away for a long weekend and when I came back is when it had started, I feel like they roost in the trees because they know they can get out when ever they want. I'm going to try the water balloon idea. We had tried just shaking the limbs but then they associate the fear with us and I don't want that...at least a water balloon they may not know where it is coming from.

I hope you find your ladies I would be so scared, my boyfriend gets mad everynight when I make him climb the trees to get them out, but I would be so sad if something happened to them and I knew I could have prevented it but just cimbing the tree. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom