my chicken is too thin

candr01

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
My Coop
My Coop
I have two chickens just 1 year old, a Black Australorp (Charlotte) and a Light Brahma (Sophia). They are super sweet, have been laying as usual, eating well and seem to be happy. I have noticed over the last few weeks that the Brahma, Sophia, is losing weight. Her keel bone protudes sharply and seems to be getting more pronounced. She seems very light given that she is supposed to be a heavy breed. Charlotte on the other hand seems perfect - no sharp keel bone and a nice healthy weight.

They have free choice commercial grower feed, grit, oyster shells and fresh water. They live in a 4x8 run with 4x4 attached coop and get to go out in the day tractor to a different part of the garden to eat fresh grass, dig for worms and do chickeny things regularly. I give them vege garden trimmings and treats on occasion - definitely not every day. I don't notice any behavioural issues that might suggest boredom or illness. I check their crop after they've been out in the tractor and inevitably the BA will have a full crop whereas the Brahma's is much smaller. The Brahma, is the alpha chicken. Otherwise I don't notice any difference between the two.

I wondered if Sophia might have worms? I use sand in the run and PDZ in the coop so it is hard to check well for worms as the poops dry out so quickly there is not much left to check. I also kinda thought that if worms were the problem then Charlotte would likely also have worms but she seems as healthy as can be. I've never wormed them so thought it was probably good to do as a preventative measure anyway. I used the Rooster Booster multi-wormer in their feed yesterday and today. No changes to report yet.

What else might cause a dramatic weight loss like this? She seems to be getting thinner with each week that goes by,

Appreciate any ideas or thoughts BYC might have.

Back
Top Bottom