My Chicken is Walking Weird at Night! Please Help!

Colton

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
Western WI
My black austrolorp is almost laying. She started walking funny yesterday morning. She did it last night and a little this morning. The thing is, after the morning is past, she starts walking just fine. I have no idea what it could be. Anything would help greatly. Thanks!

How do you mean "funny", exactly?
I think he means the chicken is walking differently than she usually would.

e.g. wobbling or limping every few steps or so.

Is the hen getting enough sleep?
Try separating her from the for one night and see if it improves.

I think he means the chicken is walking differently than she usually would.

e.g. wobbling or limping every few steps or so.

Is the hen getting enough sleep?
Try separating her from the for one night and see if it improves.

"Funny" could mean any number of things, though. We need specifics in order to diagnose the problem. A chicken limping is a lot different than a chicken walking like a penguin- one is likely a leg injury while the other is a reproductive issue.

If "last night" and "this morning" involve darkness, that would explain weird walking. Chickens don't have night vision. I moved one into a coop in the dark once, and it stumbled around like a drunk trying to find the roost.

Last night when we put the chickens to bed, she was up on a shelf/rooste. She could not balance on the actual rooste 2 X. She seemed to walk with a gimp foot. It looked twisted and curled up. She dragged it and flopped it, unable to spread the toes and walk normal. She was comfy where she was and we left her with a lamp on and amongst the rest of the chickens. This morning we went out, plenty before the sun rose. The chickens were up and she was still on the shelf (which sits her close to the others on the rooste). We took her down and put her by the food. SHE WALKED, PERFECTLY NORMAL, over to the water! Her toes were all spread out and she walked on that leg just like normal!
summary...yesterday morn, walk with a limp. Ok during day, not further progression of the limp. Totally couldn't use her foot at 7:30 pm to even get up on the rooste. This morning, perfectly fine. Toes and leg....

???????

Monitor her. If it continues then there is probably a problem.

Birds are not at their best after dark. They are pretty much blind once the lights go out. She could have been flailing around a bit because she was confused and night-blind.

Back
Top Bottom