My chicken is young and has a soft squishy lump on her chest please help

christiechic

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Hi everybody, I'm brand-new to this site, though I've been coming to it regularly since I got my first group of baby chickens in February.
One of my young hand, the sweetest one of them I might add, is acting as though she is sick. I have been trying to help her through the advice I see on here however I am extremely worried . She isn't interested in eating and actually she wants to drink but in less I give it to her through a syringe she's not really drinking right now either. I found a soft squishy lump on her breast area and yesterday she showed me that she had poop stuck stuck to her bottom. I believe this is referred to as pasty butt. I took the appropriate steps to clean it out but there was a long string of grass that I could not get out and I was afraid of pulling too hard and ripping her skin around her bottom. Are use scissors to cut the remainder that was hanging out and I have been trying to apply warm compresses to her bottom and 15 minute intervals. I tried a thermometer lubricated with Vaseline but what came out seemed to be something like anal gland expressing. Today she's acting like she doesn't even want to flapper wings hardly and I am currently soaking bread and olive oil to see if I can get her to eat that. I don't know what exactly this is that's occurring with her and I am very worried that I'm going to lose her. Is there any other advice or anything to help me try to save her? I would greatly appreciate it! I am new to all of this, and as I stated she is the most loving of all four of chickens that I've got . Please help and thank you in advance !

Greetings from Kansas, christiechic, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard but sorry to hear about your chick. I am not really sure what it might be - but where is the squishy lump located on her chest? You are sure it's not just her crop? But still I'm unsure of the not eating or drinking behavior. You might consider posting in the medical forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
And in the ER Forum, if possible could you post a pic of this lump?
Best wishes to you and your chick!

long blades of grass can cause impacted crop. You may want to post in detail on the "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. In the interim please check out

"impacted crop," in the search box to see what advice is available to you now. I hope she will be okay. Keep working on the pasty butt, they can die if they are unable to poo.

Greetings from Kansas, christiechic, and :welcome !  Great to have you aboard but sorry to hear about your chick.  I am not really sure what it might be - but where is the squishy lump located on her chest?  You are sure it's not just her crop?  But still I'm unsure of the not eating or drinking behavior.   You might consider posting in the medical forum here:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
And in the ER Forum, if possible could you post a pic of this lump?
Best wishes to you and your chick!  

long blades of grass can  cause impacted crop.   You may want to post in detail on the "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread.  In the interim please check out

"impacted crop," in the search box to see what advice is available to you now.   I hope she will be okay.  Keep working on the pasty butt, they can die if they are unable to poo

Thank you! I will do so now. Her lump is right before the long bone that goes down their stomach- she is hot around her stomach and with most of my animals the source of heat is usually where the pain is :( I appreciate you responding!!

Thank you!! I am going to ck out the ER forum now- I will try to take a picture of her lump under her feathers and is right before that long bone that goes down their stomach area . I truly believe she's impacted by grass so I am trying to figure this out before it's too late. I had no idea when I bought these chickens that I would get one that is so lovable and wants to cuddle with humans and it really is horrible to see her in so much pain and to be so young and not know what to do :((

welcome-byc.gif

So sorry to hear your little one is having a problem. I hope the ER folks can help you help her.

Best wishes!

G’Day from down under christiechic
frow.gif
Welcome!

I too hope that the folks on the ER Forum are able to assist and your girl makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom