My chicken isn’t maturing

I don't suppose you free range and she could be laying in secret? Those Hamburg eggs are pretty easy to lose at their size! I have a girl who's comb is about the same unimpressive almost non existent size, and she just laid her first egg at 29 weeks, where her sisters laid at 16 and 17 respectively. My girls comb is swelling a touch more now, but you'd never think she was a layer judging by her comb. Don't lose hope, she'll get there! Not that her egg will fill a belly, but they do fit perfectly on an English Muffin! :lol:

I don't suppose you free range and she could be laying in secret? Those Hamburg eggs are pretty easy to lose at their size! I have a girl who's comb is about the same unimpressive almost non existent size, and she just laid her first egg at 29 weeks, where her sisters laid at 16 and 17 respectively. My girls comb is swelling a touch more now, but you'd never think she was a layer judging by her comb. Don't lose hope, she'll get there! Not that her egg will fill a belly, but they do fit perfectly on an English Muffin! :lol:
Hahaha! I love tiny chicken eggs so I have been looking for them. My chickens are free range but they have just over an acre fenced in. I have searched everywhere. Under every tree and leaf in the yard. Some of the other chickens started laying their eggs in the cats heated houses! Little stinkers. Chickens are the funniest, most adorable creatures in the world.

Some of the other chickens started laying their eggs in the cats heated houses!
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Oh my gosh. That is probably a great idea, but they would cry all day in there and I would be outside crying thinking I was torturing them. My Olive Egger is out of the coop the minute the door opens and it’s still a little dark! Maybe when we get the new coop and run I will do that. We are getting a pretty deluxe one and much bigger because I don’t think anyone is worse at chicken math than I am! Right now we don’t have a run, just a run out the door! Pic is of the coop we are hoping to get soon. We are
BE89C08F-1CF3-4928-9774-0E4FE4CD8C74.jpeg
tired of making them ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom