My Chicken just died

JULIA, COME HOME. COME BACK TO CHICKEN MAMA. I MISS YOU SO MUCH. YOU ARE MY EMOTIONAL SUPPORT. WITHOUT YOU, LIFE HAS NO MEANING. JULIA COMES BACK TO CHICKEN MAMA. I LOVE YOU , JULIA. CHICKEN MAMA HAS BEEN CRYING SINCE TUESDAY. GOD, IF I HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. JUST PUNISH ME PHYSICALLY. I CAN TAKE PHYSICALL PAIN. BUT NOT TAKE AWAY MY LOVELY CHICKEN. SHE IS ALL I GOT. JULIA, I MISS YOU. SO MUCH. WHEN I COME HOME, I CANNOT SEE YOU ANYMORE. EVERYDAYI TALK TO YOU . I FEED YOU. I BATHE YOU. I MASSAGE YOUR CROW AND LEGS WITH BABY OIL. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH NOBODY WILL UNDERSTAND. NOW YOU ARE GONE. WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO. JULIA, CHICKEN MAMA LOVE S YOU VERY MUCH. YOUR DEATH IS KILLING ME. WHY ME ? WHY?

SHE WAS DYING IN MY ARMS. I CRIED HYSTERICALLY. GOD, PLEASE . I AM A GOOD PERSON. WHY LIKE THIS?

Hey Neon I am very sorry to hear this ill news. *hugs* I know it doesn't seem like it or feel remotely even close like it... but its going to be OK. I too lost my Mom my Grandparent's 3 friends and a cat in less than 18 months. My dog was last and he was killed by two other dogs. I got my first chickens ever, adopted "Johnson" an abandoned Roo from the SPCA and fell in love with this world. We live in a semi rural area and we didn't know that's HOW LOUD roosters are at the crack of dawn, so we used to bring him inside at night and he would sleep in a small kennel. You know how they are very habitual and so he got used to this routine. Part of me always felt like I was robbing him of some roost time with the 4 girls so one night I decide to let him have a sleep over with the hens. We live in rural-wilderness of BC (as I already mentioned) and one night a bear came sniffing around and picked up the chicken tractor tossed it and I assume Johnson came out swinging. Needless to say the bear grabbed him and wandered off leaving behind a few feathers. All 4 of my girls though traumatized escaped unscathed. My neighbor Kendra who also has chickens told me that the same bear (most likely) had been by their place 4 days prior and killed all 6 of her hens. I know now that Johnson gave his life to save the hens.

This put me onto my journey now in a very serious way. Seeking all knowledge and understanding about the chicken. Today I have around 50 birds and I have rescued many. This may not have happened had the bear not come that night. Shortly after this incident, I went to a farm still very sad and purchased 4 bantam chicks off a guy here in my small town of Roberts Creek BC. 2 silkies, a Japanese Bantam and some type of game bird bantam. They were about 2 weeks old. Phil had probably 100 birds for sale in a pretty nice outdoor brooder. Wouldn't ya know about a week after we picked these birds up a weasel weaseled his way into that brooder and killed and took every single bird Phil had. He was devastated. I look at my 4 bantams and think you little guysdont know how lucky you really are. In a way... Johnson died so they could live.

Guess my moral or point is know matter how awesome or how dark things can be they put us on deck for the next thing coming. All roads lead to somewhere and life's mishaps unfortunately can be our compass to get there. Hope I didn't babble your ear off too much but I promise Neon IT WILL get better.

mistr eddie

Last edited:
I am so sorry. What I have learned is that having one die is something that just happens. It isn't what you did or didn't do. Chickens are just fragile and we are lucky to have them for the time that we do. Since posting that I had one of my girls died in December, I have had two more die. One from a prolapse and the other I think that a wasp got her. Each one is a true loss and very sad but I still have 6 and they are a joy.
Get another chicken as soon as you can and maybe even two. Hope things get better for you soon, Martha

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RELPY. I HAD JULIA FOR 4 YERAS. SHE WAS WITH ME ALL THE TIME. I WENT TO MY FATHER 'S CEMETERY. SHE WAS ALWAYS WITH ME. SHE IS MY FRIEND, MY BUDDY, SHE NEVER HAD ANY COMPLAINT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. AT LEAST I FIND SOMEBODY KNOWS HOW I FEEL. I AM VERY DEPRESSED, DEVASTATED. SHE IS PART OF MY LIFE. NOW SHE IS GONE, I HAVE A BLEEDING HOLE IN MY HEART. EDDIE, DO YOU UNDERSATND? I FAILED HER. SHE WAS OLD , BUT SHE COULD HAVE LIVED LONGER IF I OULDD HAVE DONE BETTER, I FAILED HER. SHE DIED IN MY ARMS.
I CAN NEVER FORGIVE MYSELF.

SHE IS ALL I GOT. I RASIED HER UP IN MY HOUSE BECAUSE CANADA HAS LONG WINTER. I ALWAYS LET HER OUT TO THE BACKYARD IN SUMMER TIMES. THEN SHE KNEW HER WAY TO COME HOME. SHE DID HER DUST BATH IN THE BACKYARD, FINDING WORMS AND MANY FUNNY THINGS. NOW I DID GO TO THE BACK YARD SINCE TUESDAY AFTER SHE DIED.

I AM IN DEEP SORROW. I CRY WHEN I THINK OF HER, I TALKED TO HER ALL THE TIMES, I TOLD HER DONT GO, DONT LEFT CHICKEN MAMA ALONE. BUT IT WAS ALL MY FAULT . I WISH I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER. NOW IT IS TOO LATE. EVERYTHING IS TOO LATE..

MY EMAIL IS [email protected] IN CASE I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THIS FORUM. I NEVER USE BEFORE BECAUSE SOMETIMES I CANNOT GET IT. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.

THANK YOU MARTHA. IT IS NICE TO KNOW SOMEBODY KNOWS HOW I FEEL. OTHER PEOPLE MAY THINK I AM CRAZY . CRYING FOR A CHICKEN FOR SO MANY DAYS

Dear neon

its not crazy to cry for something you have loved and lost. I am always distressed when one of my birds goes, but as Baygirl says they are fragile things.
What you have to try to think is that you gave her the best life she could have by caring for her so well. If she died in your arms she went knowing you loved her.
I think you should get yourself a new pet as soon as possible, you are obviously a very loving person and there are animals out there who need your love .

Hope you feel better soon
Hugs Motherhen

DEAR MOTHERHEN,

THANK YOU FOR BEING SO UNDERSTANDING. NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE UNDERSTAND HOW I FEEL. BECAUSE MY CHICKEN IS A HOUSE CHICKEN. I TALKED TO HER EVERYDAY. I LET HER WALK IN MY KITCHEN. I WENT SHOPPING WITH HER. SHE WAITED FOR ME IN MY CAR WHEN THE WEATHER WAS GOOD, NOT TOO HOT , NOT TOO COLD. MY CHICKEN, JULIA WENT WITH ME TO VISIT MY FATHER AND BROTHER'S CEMETERY. SHE IS PART OF ME. SHE DIED, PART OF ME DIED WITH HER.

I ALWAYS BLAME MYSELF . IT IS ALL MY FAULT. IF I COULD HAVE DONE BETTER, SHE COULD HAVE LIVE LONGER. NOW SHE IS GONE. I CRIED HYSERTERICALLY HOLDING HER IN MY ARMS. I ALWAYS HAVE HER FLASH BACK, SHE IS ALWAYS IN MY MIND. SHE DIED, I DIED. I GOT NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING.

I WANT TO GET ANOTHER CHICKEN. BUT I DONT WANT TO FEEL THE PAIN IN ABOUT 4 OR 5 YEARS TIME. THEREFORE, I WILL GET A DOG FIRST. BUT I STILL MAY GET A CHICKEN BACK.

I HUGGED MY CHICKEN A FEW MINUTES SOME NIGHTS BEFORE I PUT HER IN HER CAGE IN MY KITCHEN. SHE WAS SO PASSIONATE TO ME, SHE LEANED HER HEAD ON MY ARMS.

I MESSAGED HER CROW AND HER LEGS WITH BABY OIL TO KEEP HER MOIST. I LOVE HER SO MUCH THAT I DONT KNWO HOW TO PUT INTO WORDS,

JULIA HELPED ME TO GO THROUGH THE DIFFICULT TIMES WHEN MY BROTHER DIED, THEN MY FATHER DIED. NOW WHEN SHE DIED, I REALLY FEEL I AM DYING INSIDE MYSELF.

I STILL CALLED OUT HER NAME SOME TIMES TELLING HER SHE IS ALWAYS LOVED BY CHICKEN MAMA.

I got 12 new chicks this past March and everyone has been doing fine... until today. I went out this morning and found one of the white hens just laying there in the coop. She would eat a bite and drink a little but could not stand. I brought her inside to watch her. She had loose bowel movements for about 3 hours and then just died. She looked so sad... almost like she knew she was gonna die. The others look normal but are not eating well at all and they have stopped laying eggs. Do you think they are all getting sick? What should I do?

I DONT KNOW. MY CHICKEN JUST DIED A WEEK AGO. HER DEATHE RIPPED MY HEART OUT. I HAD HER FOR 4 YEARS. HSE WAS A HOUSE CHICKEN. SHE LIVED IN MY HOUSE. I LET HER GO TO THE BACKYARD DURING THE DAY. SHE PALYED WITH ME, I TOOK HER WITHE ME WHEN I VISITED MY FATHER'S CEMETERY.
SHE IS PART OF ME. I AM STILL DROWING IN GULIT, GRIEF, AND SORROW.
I HAVE BEEN CRYING DAYS ALREADY.

This morning I looked out of my window to peep in my flock. Everything looked normal .i grabbed my coffee and decided to watch them range to come out too my Rooster ( sassy) dead on the floor if coop. His top girl is devastated and I feel numb! All 11 girls are looking for him. He was my husbands favorite and a great Rooster! Good with my kids and friendly with us. I'm just trying to figure out why? I spoil them all! They get everything they need diet wise. My husband is as baffled as I . He held him everyday they had a special bond. He always gave us a little wing flap when we called him. I'm rambling ! Guess just processing this. It is hard to explain to someone without chickens. Sassy will be missed!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom