My chicken killer caught on camera

Mikee1948

Songster
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Caught this image on my back yard trail cam. This is most likely the culpirit that killed my first bunch of chicks.

92543_pict0011.jpg

Looks guilty to me. I have lost numerous chickens to foxes thru the years. Sorry it happened to you. I would recommend an electric fence although I have still lost some that flew over. Sometimes they get a bunch, sometimes they sneak one ever few days. And they come to my resturant in broad day light too.

I must get one of those trail cams. My folks have had them set up, especially when tools start disappearing. The tools usually make their way back home. This is a good use of one: monitoring the chicken environment so that you know which predator to hunt for. Gives you a hand up over them.

Dont they say 'criminals always return to the scene of the crime'? Looks like it has come back for a snack. Personally I would give it a lead aspirin.

Ohhh......I hate foxes. As pretty as they may be they are naughty little creatures when it comes to chickens! The past few years their numbers have really grown around here. Thankfully, I haven't had any chickens lost to them. They used to move on when winter set in, but last year we had no such luck. They were everywhere. It wasn't anything to see them in the daylight running around in the field. And at night they loved to wake us up with their screaming lady calls -- they were right out the bedroom window! I flipped the light on and they would watch me -- they didn't care! They chased the cat a couple of times. They are naughty little critters. I hope they don't get anymore of your chickens! Best of luck!

I've lost chickens to foxes,too. Hubby left the coop open one night and I lost 6, with my brave Brahma roo. being ripped to shreds.(He survived, but his life was in the balance for days).

They DO come back. Our gun laws are different from yours, but we installed heat-sensitive lights. Foxes do not like to 'work' in the light, and we have (fingers crossed and touching wood) been OK since.

Trap him (more likely to be a 'her' with cubs), shoot him, scare him, whatever......they are a menace to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom