My chicken laid an organ!

dreamteas

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
Yes that's right my chicken laid an organ! Which organ I don't know. I need to find a way to get the photo off my phone.

I've seen hens who have had a hard time laying an egg and expelled their organs before but they've always been dead in the lay box.

One my chickens, which one I don't know, laid an organ and went on her merry way.

This was over two weeks ago.

One lady has been looking a little sad, and sleeping outside in the chicken run in a corner. She only did that for a couple nights and she seems right as rain now!

All hens are eating and pooping.

I know it's hard to say what is was without a picture but by lookin at photos on the internet I think it was the shell gland and surrounding parts.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

without a picture that is pretty hard to figure out. I thought you were talking about a musical instument from the thread title.
smile.png
I hope she will be alright. Maybe it was just something wierd she ate.

If you have an iPhone, there is a photobucket app where you can upload pictures from your phone and share on this site.

You will need 10 or more posts before you will be able to post a pic (weeding out spammers thing).

I wonder if she didnt pass an ovary...its happened before. Also could be a larger forgein body encapsulated by the hen and then expelled?

We have 10 Red Star hens, about 2 years old. Good layers, averaging about 8 eggs per day.

Yesterday I noticed what looked like a small human stomach organ in one of the nests. There was no blood or any other fluids, just the organ. It was about the size of a jumbo egg.

It was obviously expelled by one of the hens, but I don't know which one. They all look healthy.

I presume this organ is required for laying eggs. I'll report back if I can tell which hen it was, or if one them dies soon.

Wierd!

Maybe it was just a 'fart' egg. I think there is another name for it, but you might search for it and see if any pictures match what you found? Good Luck!

Is this what your looked like. This is what i found in one of the chickens nesting boxes this morning. Anyone know what it is?

Back
Top Bottom