My Chicken Plans have turned Upside Down!

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
I'm just hoping to vent a little frustration.

Having had ducks for almost a year now and enjoying their company (and eggs) tremendously, I had big plans for getting some egg laying chickens and a few of those Cornish Xs. Specifically Buff Orps, Barred Rocks for the egg birds. DH, whom shall from now on be referred to as Hal, was building me a house/coop.

Well, in the last couple of weeks we have determined that Hal is allergic to duck egg whites. (The yolks by themselves are yet to be tested). The things egg whites do to him are not nice. We haven't had chicken eggs in months so we don't yet know whether those cause the same problems and he'd like a couple weeks of feeling fine before we try that experiment.

So, now there is no sense in having a bunch of laying hens. I am not going to build a house for Cornish Xs that are only going to around a couple of months. So there I was thinking my chicken dreams were over until I learned of these Dark Cornish chickens, and then read a few posts about them at BYC. hmmmm

I broached the idea with Hal, who is understandably concerned that my dreams were dashed, but after all, if he can't eat eggs (and he really liked fried eggs) what was the point? But this idea of specifically raising hardy meat chickens that don't lay near as many eggs sounded like a good idea. So at this point, unless we determine he can still eat chicken eggs (just not duck, and I can't believe we'd be that lucky) it looks like I'll be getting some Dark Cornish chicks instead.

I am so glad I did not order any chicks at the feed store 2 weeks ago!!! They only sell egg layers and Cornish Xs. But the buffs and BR looked so cute! *sigh* :| And I have to wonder, are there other good meat chickens out there who aren't going to lay 200-300 eggs/year that would get along with DC and forage well (I'm planning on free ranging)?

I haven't read the posts too carefully because we are going the meat bird route, but try doing a search on freedom rangers. People have been saying really good things about them. Good luck with finding a way to fulfill your dream!!

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I just finished reading the 11 page thread greyfields started on Freedom Rangers and went to the breeder site. While an interesting bird, I'm more interested at this point I think in a bird that breeds true which I think a Dark Cornish does. However that thread did bring me to another interesting bird called the Buckeye that might be right up my alley. It's definitely harder to get hold of that one than the DC though.

So you done me good!
big_smile.png

So he all of a sudden became allergic to duck eggs? Thats very weird. I have been allergic to them my whole life. When I was little I would go into anaphylactic shock now I just vomit if I even try to eat an egg. I was hoping it'd go away like my strawberry allergy did but no such luck! I feel your hubby's discomfort!
I have no suggestion on the meat chicken queries though since I'm a vegetarian
tongue.png

I would not, at all, find it surprising if it is only the duck eggs that he has a reaction to. There is a different make up to the eggs, much like cow vs. goat's milk. Also take the advice of the above poster and check the feed. I don't think I would give up on the eggs yet. If he doesn't react to grocery store chicken eggs he won't react to homegrown eggs.

Editing to add that Cornish X's are meat birds. They are not prolific layers and are bred specifically to gain the most amount of weight the fastest. Cackle Hackle has a great heavy cockeral assortment called the frypan special for very little money if you want more than one type of rooster, but they will take longer to finish than the X's. You can go to the meat birds forum to find out more info on meat birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well we've only been eating them since early January and not a lot of them as just eggs I baked some into cakes, etc). But it did get progressively worse after a few weeks.

For the other poster who suggested soy in the duck feed, it's not listed on the label unless it's hidden inside:

"grain products, plant protein products, or processed grain by-products".

I'm going to the ocmpany's website now to see if there is any more info.

Back
Top Bottom