My Chicken Run

Uberprof

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Hi everyone,

I just recently finished building a chicken run around a tool shed that had recently become the home of my chickens. Here are some photos.

1. Just pounded the T-posts into the ground.

2. Used a post-to-wood adapter and connected all the wooden strips to form a frame.

3. Wrapped poultry wiring around. Some of the chickens are already out.

4. Added a eagle-proof cover. Nail-gunned a strip to the shed, and then connected strips to that one, then stretched them over the frame, so no beam necessary.

5. Ta-Da~~~

It looks good, but I see those woods behind it and wonder if you have any plans to predator-proof it. Chicken wire keeps chickens in. It does nothing to keep predators out. They can rip through it in less time than it took you to unroll it.

Thanks~~
big_smile.png

nice!! i bet you have some happy birds!

Last edited:
It looks good, but I see those woods behind it and wonder if you have any plans to predator-proof it. Chicken wire keeps chickens in. It does nothing to keep predators out. They can rip through it in less time than it took you to unroll it.
We are located 5 minutes from Boston, and so the woods are not as thick here.
The woods behind the run is mainly inhabited by deer, rabbits and turkey.
There have been reports of coyotes, but they really do keep to themselves.
Very rarely are they sighted.

Thanks for the advice, though. I will consider much stronger amendments when they are needed.

on predators, if they are locked inside the coop at night they will be fine. if they are in the run at night though, a night predator (coyote, raccoon, opossum, fox, etc) may get inside.

Last edited:
Naturally it's up to you how much more you want to put into your setup. I would be doing you a disservice, however, not to caution you about predators you might not have though of. They are everywhere. The coyotes might not be a problem yet, but once they smell a chicken dinner that will change. We watched a family of raccoons come up from a storm drain when we were living at the Ronald McDonald house - in downtown Denver - and head for the trash cans. There are also dogs that get away from owners or stray dogs. They can decimate a flock in minutes just for the fun of the killing. If you have eagles you needed to put a top on to avoid, then there must certainly be other wildlife around. Predators don't just exist in the country - they have adapted very well to urban environments.

I did not mean to come across as critical. I know how much hard work goes into building a coop and run and it seems unfair to have someone point things out.

Back
Top Bottom