My chicken sounds very strange

gertyaud

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 26, 2013
My chick looks and acts healthily, but she has always had a croaky voice. I've been away for 3 weeks and now she sounds very strange. I looked down her throat and found nothing of note (however I am not really sure what a healthy chicken throat looks like).
I'm worried about her.
All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Is her beak okay? Are the sounds pained, or just throaty? How old is she? Is it possible that she could be a rooster testing out her voice?

Is her beak okay? Are the sounds pained, or just throaty? How old is she? Is it possible that she could be a rooster testing out her voice?
Thank you for replying. She is def a hen, and lays beautiful eggs. She doesn't appear to be in pain, except she does stretch her neck a bit. Her beak is fine. She is about 2 or 3 years old.
She roams the yard with her sisters, eats well, is a good weight, and has a good coat. She looks perfectly healthy, except for this coarse voice.

Thank you for replying. She is def a hen, and lays beautiful eggs. She doesn't appear to be in pain, except she does stretch her neck a bit. Her beak is fine. She is about 2 or 3 years old.
She roams the yard with her sisters, eats well, is a good weight, and has a good coat. She looks perfectly healthy, except for this coarse voice.
Actually, I just gave her a full going-over and I felt a lump in her throat, around where an adam's apple would be if she was human. Now I am more worried.

Actually, I just gave her a full going-over and I felt a lump in her throat, around where an adam's apple would be if she was human. Now I am more worried.
It could be a respiratory illness. Or the lump could be some kind of worm (Like gapeworm?) How big was the lump/

Did her crop empty over night?
Chickens do the weird neck stretching/movement to adjust their crops. Could this be what she is doing?

It could be a respiratory illness. Or the lump could be some kind of worm (Like gapeworm?) How big was the lump/
I think you're right. I bought some meds for gapeworm, which i will administer today. However, i have found that meds in their drinking water are v difficult to get them to drunk.

Did her crop empty over night?
Chickens do the weird neck stretching/movement to adjust their crops. Could this be what she is doing?
Thanks Lor, but this has been going on for some time now, I suspect it's gapeworm.

The lump you are feeling sounds like the cartilage surrounding her trachea, same as what Adams apple is in humans.
1687041877267.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom