My chicken was acting weird and now can’t stand

I'm glad she is going to the vet.
Keep us posted on what you find out

The vet diagnosed her with an infectious illness if in contact with other hens, but treatable. My mom isn’t good at medical names, so unfortunately she does not remember the name of what the vet diagnosed the hen with. But I’ll try to question the vet myself tomorrow.

The vet recommended us to put the hen to rest given her conditions, which my mother complied to. So sadly I couldn’t keep monitoring her and helping her recover, but fortunately she’s at rest and feeling no more pain.

I’ll be burning the place where she used to stay in as a safety precaution due to her mentioning he said it was contagious. He also gave us some sort of anti repellent of sorts to put into their water.

I really do appreciate all of your help. Despite the outcome. On the brighter side, I got my little hens some calcium! They haven’t really shown interest in eating it. But I’m sure they’ll soon get the hang of it.

Given what she described to me, he didn’t really check her belly or make a throughout analysis at her body so I’m really unsure about his diagnosis. But I’ll be giving my hens the dissolved medication/repellent just in case. Best to be safe than sorry!

He also gave us some sort of anti repellent of sorts to put into their water.
I'm sorry to hear about the hen, always sad, but it sounds like you have a kind and knowledgeable vet.

If you don't mind, do you have the name of the anti-repellent medication that goes in the drinking water?

I'm sorry to hear about the hen, always sad, but it sounds like you have a kind and knowledgeable vet.

If you don't mind, do you have the name of the anti-repellent medication that goes in the drinking water?
He is, and so are his coworkers!

Yes, I’m a bit busy right now, but I’ll take a picture once I’m at my coop! I’ll reply here once I’m free.

Sorry it’s in Spanish, but briefly, the back says it helps eliminating bacteria that could cause infection or viruses. Focuses on respiratory and digestive infections. He told me to dissolve a spoonful into 10 liters of water.

Bag also says to give it in a lapse of 5 days. And to not ingest any of their produced eggs during medication as well to not eat the medicated chicken during medication and only after 13 days have passed since then.

Attachments

• IMG_6583.jpeg
    IMG_6583.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6584.jpeg
    IMG_6584.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 4
Sorry it’s in Spanish, but briefly, the back says it helps eliminating bacteria that could cause infection or viruses. Focuses on respiratory and digestive infections. He told me to dissolve a spoonful into 10 liters of water.

Bag also says to give it in a lapse of 5 days. And to not ingest any of their produced eggs during medication as well to not eat the medicated chicken during medication and only after 13 days have passed since then.
Thank you for posting this.

I can put it through a translator if necessary.
Looks like Oxytetracycline which is an antibiotic. And yes, it's mainly used to treat respiratory infection, but will also treat other conditions as prescribed by a vet.

I hope the medication helps and your Silkies stay happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom