My chicken was acting weird and now can’t stand

I don't think there's anyway to save her based on her condition.
Thank you, I’ll comment this to my mother since it’s her hen. I’ll continue to aid her in the meantime, but hope my mother chooses to let the poor little lady to rest. I really do imagine the poor thing is in pain.

Also some breeds start to develop problems at a certain age that can't be fixed with home remedies or medications.
I’m very unsure of her breed to be frank. She’s the last chicken of my mother’s flock. Was hatched and raised with my silkies. But I do recall they all passed around three or four years if best (she’d raise them to eat them, oddly left them to live casually as much as I do with my silkies. They were more livestock? than pets to her). And she is around three-four years herself. My mom also speculated it was due to her age. But again, the final decision is hers, I’m only doing my best to aid her hen.

That hen should not be eaten for safety reasons, if she pass just bury her.
Of course! I wasn’t thinking about it and I believe she shares the same feeling as I do. We never ate any of the hens that died spontaneously. Only the hens and roosters she’d put in a coop to prep them up to eat. I personally think any ill, sick or weak looking animal is not safe to eat. We always bury them if found dead. If we end up putting her to rest, we will also bury her.

But thank you for your concern! And thank you so much for your time and advice. Have a lovely day!

Sorry to bother you again, but I flipped her over to make a more throughout and better skin examination and I noticed her sternum is rather, crooked? And I found a scab along with two lumps, the skin one is rather squishy and closest to the scab and I think I can see blood through the skin when probing at it, and there’s a very hard round yet small black one. She doesn’t do any noise when I touch them or push against them.

I’ll be checking it later throughout the day in hopes to feel it emptying.

Check the crop first thing before she's had anything to eat/drink overnight. If it's emptying, then that's good.
Check the crop first thing in the morning. Checking during the day when she's been eating/drinking does not tell you a lot about crop function.

Your hen has a breast blister which is not that uncommon. It doesn't look too bad right now, but if she's not able to get up and move about on her own, then it will eventually get worse.
The blue tinted bump looks like it may be a blood blister or perhaps an ingrown feather. I'd just monitor that spot to see if there's any changes.

I do agree, if she's not improving, then it may be time to re-evaluate her quality of life. It's never easy to let one go. Sit down with your Mom and discuss this practically, come to a conclusion together. If you both feel it's time, then stick with it. If not, then re-evaluate daily.

I'm sorry she's not doing well; it can be very sad to see them in decline.

Check the crop first thing in the morning. Checking during the day when she's been eating/drinking does not tell you a lot about crop function.

Your hen has a breast blister which is not that uncommon. It doesn't look too bad right now, but if she's not able to get up and move about on her own, then it will eventually get worse.
The blue tinted bump looks like it may be a blood blister or perhaps an ingrown feather. I'd just monitor that spot to see if there's any changes.

I do agree, if she's not improving, then it may be time to re-evaluate her quality of life. It's never easy to let one go. Sit down with your Mom and discuss this practically, come to a conclusion together. If you both feel it's time, then stick with it. If not, then re-evaluate daily.

I'm sorry she's not doing well; it can be very sad to see them in decline.
Thank you for your response!

Got it, I’ll tell my mom after she brings her back from the vet.

I have talked about it with her, she was silent for the most part. But I’m thankful she decided to take her to the vet seeing that clearly I have no knowledge over this. These all sound like new things to me, worst I had to deal with was random dog attacks.

We hope she does better soon. Since Marek’s seems to be ruled out, I’m finally interacting with my own chickens again. I hope I can overcome said fear. And I’ll be letting them wander on out very soon too, since I’ve been keeping them in their coop, they seem very vocal about wanting to be let out as of recently.

They are a few silkies I have as pets and are pretty old. I’m unsure if vaccinating them against Marek’s is a good idea since I’ve read it’s mostly unlikely it’ll work or be as effective as when newborns. I think I’ll let them continue on their lives without and hope we never have to deal with it.

I really do appreciate all of your advice, thank you once more.

Back
Top Bottom