My Chicken was egg bound… will she keep getting it?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hello everyone, I have a two year old golden comet chicken, who was egg bound this morning. She was standing like a penguin and could not walk straight. I saw the egg peeking out of her vent and two minutes later she layed it and was completely back to normal. I have heard golden comets have a lot of issues because they get cancer in their reproductive areas. Will this mean that she is going to get egg bound more often? we are going to travel in two weeks for a week, and I am worried that she will get egg bound while we are gone. Thanks.

I have a two year old golden comet chicken, who was egg bound this morning. She was standing like a penguin and could not walk straight. I saw the egg peeking out of her vent and two minutes later she layed it and was completely back to normal
An egg can press the sciatic nerve sometimes. But that's not quite egg bound to me.. when was her last egg before this one came out? She wasn't in the lay box trying to make it come out? Was it fully formed with a solid shell? What is the size compared to her normal egg size?

Did she molt this past year or yet? What is her feed routine including treats and supplements? Are you using natural or extended artificial lighting?

Don't be focused on or worried about the big C (especially as you vacation).. plenty of GC's also live well into their senior years (I've heard of several going 8 years strong). Of all the possibilities in the universe let health be the energy we invite to manifest itself within our flocks.. While there are some things out of our control, and the concern is real.. let us not be fear mongered by what could happen but might not. Did you know that moles and skin tags in humans are technically consider benign tumors? Just cells that somehow got the wrong signal.. according to my understanding.

No, once egg bound doesn't mean often or always egg bound.. It can be caused by a reproductive hiccup.. in new and returning to lay hens (from broody or molt) when extra follicles (or yolks) get released at the same time.. causing unusually large eggs.. I got a triple yolker that weighed 105 grams from a bird that usually laid in 60 gram range.

Do you have someone checking in while you're gone?

when was her last egg before this one came out? She wasn't in the lay box trying to make it come out? Was it fully formed with a solid shell? What is the size compared to her normal egg size?
She lays pretty much everyday. She was not in the nest box and was walking around the run. Yes, fully formed with a solid shell. I have noticed their eggs have been getting bigger these days. One so big the egg carton didn’t close.

Did she molt this past year or yet? What is her feed routine including treats and supplements? Are you using natural or extended artificial lighting?
I was just about to make another thread asking why she hasn’t molted. Neither of our two GC have molted. Our other 2 birds both EE’s have molted and grown in gorgeous new feathers. They usually get the purina organic layer but I’ve been looking for a higher protein feed so now we are on the tractor supply brand layer feed. No, we do not use artificial lighting. The GC’s layed through whole winter.

Do you have someone checking in while you're gone?
Yes, we have a family member checking in on them everyday. Thank you so much for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom