My chicken will not leave home

I don't know, she looks pretty happy right where she is at. Just kidding.. but seriously if you do want to keep her inside, there are ways to do it. Otherwise, she will adapt just fine to the outdoors in time.

I had baby chicks in the house for about 6 weeks one year and the rest of their lives, they would tap tap tap on the slider to get back in the house and if the door was open, they would come right in. I have not done that again although it was awfully cute.

You created a little monster who doesn't want change, though I have kept two house chickens. I currently have a bantam sitting on a towel covered chair behind me as I type this who is playing house chicken until we get her integrated with my other girls. Thankfully she does know she is a chicken.

Whatever you do I wish you good luck. But if you are so attached to her I personally would keep her as a house chicken, and make sure you both spend as much time outside as possible with the other chickens. At some point, you might even be able to leave her outside hours at a time alone with the others. But she will always want your attention and come inside.

Generally 'flock' birds do better, with company. Hatched some birds with a strong bonding nature a couple turkeys or geese, that she can bond with and will out grow her and be protective of her since she'd be part of their flock. With day old chicks, quarrintine them with her in your room. The'd snuggle up to her for warmth and kick-start her broodiness? Been done with a duckling added to day olds(3 turkey +a few duck species).

Generally 'flock' birds do better, with company. Hatched some birds with a strong bonding nature a couple turkeys or geese, that she can bond with and will out grow her and be protective of her since she'd be part of their flock. With day old chicks, quarrintine them with her in your room. The'd snuggle up to her for warmth and kick-start her broodiness? Been done with a duckling added to day olds(3 turkey +a few duck species).
Putting day old chicks in with an older chicken can be disastrous for the chicks. Unless a hen is broody, she will not take care of or bond with babies. Broodiness is strictly a hormonal thing. It generally comes with the lengthening of the daylight.

She knows, you saved her life. She feels safe, special and is bonded to you as your child. She thinks she is a non-chicken. There is no mirror, except you. If she became broody, or you can trigger it by moving her to a nesting box with some 'day old fertilized eggs' in the nesting material and place her on top. Remember, she's special, so use some of her 'blanket' cut up into smallish pieces, enough so she can have the scent of it under her. If you wanted to calm her take a t-shirt you have worn enough so your scent is on it and with some painters tape etc... tape the t-shirt behind her and then tack a few nails into the tape to hold it in place. Move her during the night, when it is dark, in order for this to possibly work. You might have try this a few times. Simulate some of the stongest scents from your room and have a clock nearby, so she can't see it but hear it (simulating your heartbeat). Your t-shirt scent=safety and the ticking=your nearby.

Putting day old chicks in with an older chicken can be disastrous for the chicks. Unless a hen is broody, she will not take care of or bond with babies. Broodiness is strictly a hormonal thing. It generally comes with the lengthening of the daylight.
You created a little monster who doesn't want change, though I have kept two house chickens. I currently have a bantam sitting on a towel covered chair behind me as I type this who is playing house chicken until we get her integrated with my other girls. Thankfully she does know she is a chicken.

Whatever you do I wish you good luck. But if you are so attached to her I personally would keep her as a house chicken, and make sure you both spend as much time outside as possible with the other chickens. At some point, you might even be able to leave her outside hours at a time alone with the others. But she will always want your attention and come inside.

View attachment 1314684 here is the monster we are speaking of.. looks like she knows shes spoilt
I love her, what a cutie. I personally would probably have an indoor bird in that special situation. So long as you keep up with poo (diaper helps) it really isn't a big deal, honestly. People keep all sorts of birds indoors... these ones just happen to be rather big and poop a lot :p

You never know what moves one's heart. I've seen a piglet bond with a golden labrador puppy so much so that they could not be separated. There are videos of a blind horse and a goat who were best buddies that if separated, they got so depressed that they would stop eating etc... till they were re-united. You never know what will work till you try it.

I love her, what a cutie. I personally would probably have an indoor bird in that special situation. So long as you keep up with poo (diaper helps) it really isn't a big deal, honestly. People keep all sorts of birds indoors... these ones just happen to be rather big and poop a lot :p

Back
Top Bottom