My chicken won't eat!

jodirednose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 29, 2012
Hi, I have another thread on here about my fox attack! Following the fox attack 9 days ago my chicken still isn't eating. She is drinking. I do force feed her egg, yoghurt and oats but she just spits the outs out and won't willingly eat. She is very weak and sleeps all the time only walking to get a drink. Has anyone got any good advise because I'm not sure if I'm fighting a loosing battle or will she eventually eat. She does possibly sound a bit phlegmy but I'm not too sure about that. Please help!

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken
sad.png
Was she injured? If she's taking liquids you can boost her with a vitamin+mineral supplement for poultry. If she was injured I think you should have her examined by a vet so he/she can see the extend. She may also be in pain if she got hurt. Pain and shock would put anything off their food. Good luck with her!

Yes the fox bit a chunk out of her back. This is healing great and looks really good, i sprayed it with purple spray and it worked a treat. I don't really want to go down the vet route, I love my crooks but I still don't want to spend a fortune on them! Do you know what electrolytes are, I keep hearing this is good but I haven't got a clue what it is. I'll look into vitamin supplements I assume human ones aren't good.

A poultry supplement would be the best, you should be able to get that at a good agri supply store. It's usually given to chickens for stress. Otherwise give her some Poly-vi-Sol without the iron.
Electrolytes are minerals in your blood and other body fluids that carry an electric charge. It effects the amount of water in your body, acidity (pH) of your blood, muscle function etc. It contains minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium.

Hopefully a supplement will give her a bit of an appetite too. Have you tried tempting her with treats?

Thanks very much, so a supplement is what MIGHT do the trick. She's not interested in anything. She just had a slurp of olive oil off a spoon as I read that's good, but again not sure. I even have to clean her bum because she doesn't have the energy to move when she poos (which is only twice in 9 days). Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks, I really thought she would be at least a little bit better by now! She might be coming to the end of the road :(

Ok, update on the fox attacked chock! She is now outside as of last night and she desperately wants to eat. However she goes to peck at the food and no matter what the height of the food she just can't seem to reach it. Bizarre! Has anyone got and ideas? I'm totally confused this time! I do have the food at various heights in the hope she can get one of them but she can't. Or is it that she goes to eat and thinks its a bad idea due to something going on inside that I don't know about. Can someone please give me any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom