My chicken won't stand

spies04

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2011
Minnesota
My chicken has lost her ability to stand. I have been working with my vet over the past month and because of the timing and lack of other symptoms along with no other chickens have symptoms, they do not believe it is Maersk's. She is eating and drinking; she is able to move herself around the cage I have her in but won't stand. Legs are still very warm and I take her out of the kennel under supervision to give her time outside, but she basically lays in the sun on her side. My other hens have been so cruel to her so I don't leave her alone. I am not sure if I should try some rehab or what I should do for next steps. Both legs are effected and I do have her on vitamin supplements along with other additions to add protein to her diet.

Any thoughts, guidance or suggestions would so much appreciated! She is in good spirits along with eating and drinking, so I have no idea how to help her more than what I am.

Thank you for your help!

I'm so sorry to hear this. Is it possible to post a video with her behavior? I recently had a Duck with this symptoms which turned out to have a niacin deficiency. got better in a few days after niacin supplements.. I've no clue is this can happen in chickens too.

My chicken has lost her ability to stand. I have been working with my vet over the past month and because of the timing and lack of other symptoms along with no other chickens have symptoms, they do not believe it is Maersk's. She is eating and drinking; she is able to move herself around the cage I have her in but won't stand. Legs are still very warm and I take her out of the kennel under supervision to give her time outside, but she basically lays in the sun on her side. My other hens have been so cruel to her so I don't leave her alone. I am not sure if I should try some rehab or what I should do for next steps. Both legs are effected and I do have her on vitamin supplements along with other additions to add protein to her diet.

Any thoughts, guidance or suggestions would so much appreciated! She is in good spirits along with eating and drinking, so I have no idea how to help her more than what I am.

Thank you for your help!
Watching! I have one with the same thing!

Same here.. please let me know what happened I have been looking after my chicken that won’t stand or move her legs for 2 weeks now. She seems content and eats and drinks well but just won’t move her legs.

Back
Top Bottom