My chickens are afraid of my hands... this ok?

Kulyks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
They recognize me as I come down the path to the coop, and come flying and squaking to the edge of their fence, waiting for me, because they know I mean food. When I come in through the gate, they swarm around my feet and peck at me. But they won't let me come near them... by which I mean, they can approach me, but I cannot approach them, especially if I look like I'm about to pick them up... they hate that, they try to fly out and squirm.
I'm wondering, is this normal? Is there anything I can do to make them less averse to being picked up and less afraid of my hands and basically entire upper body?

Thanks.
wink.png

Find a comfortable spot and a favorite treat for them. Sit there and slowly feed them the treat. I use a little scratch feed. It will take time, a little each day and they will get to eatting out of your hand. When they are comfortable with that and what you are doing, they will fly to your hand or on your arm. Some will warm up to you faster then others. Its like monkey see, monkey do. Soon they will be all over you. At least thats what works for me. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom