My chickens are afraid of sticks/perch??

Kitti1120

Hatching
May 24, 2016
Franklin, NJ (Sussex county)
My Coop
My Coop
So my babies are now 2.5 weeks old. 2 RIR 2 BSL and 2 BR. They are currently afraid of sticks. I tried to give them their first perch by using a stick I cleaned up and they all ran in a corner huddled up and we're chirping seriously loud. I tried placing a few on it and left it in there for a hour or so. They still were afraid and still in three corner yelling. Any tips anyone can give me?

welcome-byc.gif

Give them time. They're just babies, and don't have a momma to show them what's scary and what's okay. Pretty much anything you put in there would get the same reaction at this point. Just leave them to it and some one will get brave and go check it out. Being this young, they may or may not roost on it yet. Mine don't roost until 5+ weeks, some folks here have birds that hop right up much younger.

:welcome

Give them time. They're just babies, and don't have a momma to show them what's scary and what's okay. Pretty much anything you put in there would get the same reaction at this point. Just leave them to it and some one will get brave and go check it out. Being this young, they may or may not roost on it yet. Mine don't roost until 5+ weeks, some folks here have birds that hop right up much younger. 

Yea they are already perching on the feeder and such so maybe I'll place it back in tomorrow and just let them hang out with it. Thank you!

So adorable! Thank you!

big_smile.png

A good introduction tool can be to tap on the new object with your index finger. If you like, sprinkle a little chick starter on there so they find food on the terribly scary object.
They interpret the finger tap (on the sticks in your case) as momma hen's beak telling them where to explore. Usually one or two will venture forth to see what you're tapping on and the rest soon follow.

Back
Top Bottom