1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my chickens are caughing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abelseville, Oct 6, 2008.

1. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    Ive noticed some coughing (sneezing)? in my flock for the past month. No other symptoms. Egg production is normal and no discharge/odor etc... Should I be worried? Am I doing anything wrong? Ive searched the forums and it seems dust could be a problem. Im doing the built up litter technique and maybe im not wetting it down enough? any help would be appreciated.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Look up this site to compare your chicks symptoms.
    http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp
    Many things can cause coughing: like worms to toodusty a henhouse. This chart will also help you to recognize any other S/S that you may have missed.

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I also like Vet Rx found at farm supply stores.
    My daughter is studying alternative health and when she was here to visit about a month ago she got out her little bag of essential oils and we used it on a very sick hen and it gave her a great deal of relief. I'd heard so much about the Vet Rx, I thought I'd just buy some to keep on hand. I'm a big believer in reading ingredients and guess what... It was almost exactly the same thing my daughter had conjured up for my chick.

4. abelseville

abelseville Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Loudoun County, VA
    wow thanks for the fast response. Ive checked online and I have the chicken health handbook but no match for low grade slow onset sneezing seems to fit my situation. ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by