My Chickens are Chickens - Did I Screw Up?

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, unless I missed it, but don't wear black, or dark colors anyway. At least not for a shirt. Seriously. For most birds that is the shadow of a predator coming to get them so it's better to throw on something light colored.

Aren't they supposed to be chickens?
lol.png
Seriously though, treats really help. They'll associate you with yummies, and start to come to you. Chicks LOVE sprouts. You can get wheat berries from the grocery store, and they are ready within a few days. That stuff is chickie crack!

As do most others, I bribe my chickens with treats, mainly mealworms which they seem to love. I began by hand feeding them grit for the first two weeks, then gave them mealworms. I make it a point to hand feed something at least once a day. I either sit next to the brooder or in the run, place my hand on the ground while calling them to me, and just wait until they come. Eventually a brave one, usually the ancona, will approach and the rest will follow. Some will eat the food, others will peck my hand and arms, others will walk on my arm and try to fly up to my shoulder. Today I just sat in the run watching them with my arms crossed over my legs, and three minorcas and an andalusian perched on my arms and dozed for a while. I find that after the inital spook and run for the corners, with the exception of the hamburgs and the leghorns who are extremely skittish, the rest will treat me like another piece of debris--a block of wood or a tree branch--scattered around the run and walk on me, peck me, and yes sometimes poop on me as well.

Treats and feet! Chickens and especially youngsters love to peck at toes. Sit on the ground with them, wear sandals or better bare feet, put out a few treats and let them wander around you. They can't resist coming up to peck your toes. The more they get used to you sitting on thier level the more they will come around.
If you are really not up to sitting on the ground sit on a low bucket, something to make you less of a threat and show those toes!
big_smile.png

Talk calmly and softly before reaching in to the brooder, and reach in slowly from one end instead of swooping down on them. Hold your hand still until they quit panicking and settle down, and then slowly withdraw it. Do this several times a day. After awhile they will figure out that the big scary hand isn't going to kill them.

A collection of mealworms in your palm will really help encourage them to explore the hand; just lower in slowly and hold it still.

They are way too young for wing clipping; put a piece of screen or mesh across the top with a board or something to hold it in place.

all the chickens ive ever had were afraid of me until they got big and smart and remembered that i was the guy bringin the food.... so like everyone else says, treats.

I'm a new chick owner, mine are 6 weeks old at first they were afraid of me so I started spending some time talking
to them and hand feeding treats like fresh vegis,watermelon etc now when I go to the coop and call them they all
coming running out, they let me pick them up and pet their backs while eating and will crawl into my lap.
I think you just need to gain their trust and take a little time with them.

Back
Top Bottom