My chickens are cold

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Justin1, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fluff

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Justin1

Justin1 New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    Lancaster
    Each day I let my chickens out they walk for a few minutes then look like the pictures below. They stand stil and get all fluffy. I feel bad because they are always outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ErikaSmit

ErikaSmit Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Schererville, IN
    At least they go outside, we have a heatlamp in the coop and they don't come out very often. [​IMG]

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Mine do the same thing. What they are doing is trapping some air next to their body and warming it. It's very effective, I wouldn't get worried (if you are). They are wearing down coats!

4. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Interesting pictures. Thanks for the info Chemguy!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I gotta say, I don't see any snow in your pictures. [​IMG]

They're just fine. You're projecting. That's OK, we all do it, but we also have the capacity to overcome those emotions and realize they are just fine.

7. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    This is my first chicken winter and believe me, I read everything I could get my hands on about keeping chickens in the winter (cold climates). Chickens are pretty resilient in the cold. As long as they have good shelter and are fed well, it seems they do just fine. It can get pretty cold here in SW MO in the winter. It has been pretty mild this year though. We did have some pretty cold nights and days though and I worried about them sooo much.

Lost a lot of sleep some nights, really for nothing, because next mornings they were all up bright and early and as chipper as can be waiting for me to let them out of the coop. My girls (and boys) couldn't care less how bad the weather is! Even the most crummy dreary days...they want to be outside, going back into the coop only to lay their eggs for me!

I still worry, and I suspect they will get through the winter better than I will!

Your girls are beautiful....great pics!!! [​IMG]

8. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i recently put 2 8 wk olds out in the cold. And yes i checked on them probably as much as when we brought my daughter home from the hospital. But they have been fine with no heat even when it gets into the teens at night. As long as the wind isn't bad they go into the run even if its cold. Guess they are tougher then i thought.

9. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    I think they're very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by