My chickens are dropping off

derken4

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Peoria
Help...we have had a ton of rain and my night time pen is saturated something fierce. Lately i have been having chickens dieing one by one. What could be causing this, can I dry it up with lime, is my coop maybe need disinfected? I'm sort of new to chickens, but I've had them two years in April. Should they live longer then that? Just need some help.
Thank you,
Teresa

Yes, they should generally live longer that that. As the post above says, they need dry conditions immediately. They need to always be indoors at night with protection from the weather (and predators) - not sure why a night pen would be saturated - doesn't it have roof and walls? During the day they should also have access to this dry area.
JJ

Their coop is dry, and they get out in the yard everyday, what i mean by night pen is where they go only when I leave or bedtime so that nothing gets them. I need to get it dried up quickly and I don't know how to do that. I don't leave my chickens out when I'm gone, but it's to hot to put then in the coop, so we have a fully fence yard that has fencing also up top so that nothing can get them. I need to get this yard dried up or free of parasites, it just keeps raining and raining and i don't know what to do

Unfortunately, they're going to keep dying if you keep putting them in a pen that's saturated and full of parasites.

How many chickens do you have? Can you put a shelter into the fully fenced yard? Like a doghouse? Can you attach a fully secured pen to the henhouse and keep the door open? I have attached dog pens secured to my chicken coop, and I leave the henhouse door open. Not only do they get some air in there, but they can go out into the pen if they want to.

I understand about the water thing. We didn't really pay attention to the natural lay of the land when we built one of our coops. The coop has a dirt floor and all the water of course run into the coop. Making it a disgusting mess. And I'm sure unhealthy for my chickens. Whatever you do don't use straw. Our first big mistake was straw. It holds Moisture in that's why they put it on freshly seeded yards to keep it moist. And it sucks trying to get that soggy poop laden straw out. I'm not exactly sure of your set up but what we are doing is digging little trenches so the water will drain to a different area of the yard. Were going to make a raised floor in the coop if and when it ever dries up enough. You can put lime down and rake it around and that will dry it up. but if it rains again same problems. But at least it will help till the next down poor. I feel like it's a up hill fight all the way.

Are you in Peoria, Il That is not to far from me and it's been a rain rain rain and more for 2nite.

Last edited:
When you get the area drained, you can use something called "Dry Stall" available at feed stores or online. It is actually a volcanic aggregate that absorbs moisture. It is permanent. It is actually horse bedding but it is recommended for damp poultry houses.

Google it and it will explain what it is and see if it will work for you.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

I'm having difficulty visualizing your set up (pics would help!) - but maybe there is a way you can provide a raised platform that is above water levels? It's just hard to know without pics. Try to get some on here and I know folks will do all they can to be of assistance.
Meanwhile, the chickens dying one by one is very serious.
How many do you have - when did they start dying and how many have died? What are their symptoms? How old are they? What is their diet? Etc Etc. Provide all info that you think could possibly help in sorting this out.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom