My chickens are freaks.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Jan 4, 2010.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I went down to feed them today, and I looked in the coop just for fun. There were FINALLY:rolleyes: eggs in the nest boxes! *faint* It is 15 below zero and the crackheads are laying? they haven't laid one single egg yet and are just at a year old. Total weirdos! I did save one, the other three were cracked because they were frozen solid. The one I saved was nice and warm and fresh. [​IMG]:

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] Sounds like mine...I'm reminded over and over again that chickens aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, or the brightest bulbs on the tree.

3. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Congrats on the eggs tho hehe

[​IMG]

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    :thumbsupas long as the frozen/Cracked eggs are not dirty, they are useable..

if they are dirty, you can cook and feed them to chickens, dogs, other animals.

Congratulations

5. Pureupto99per

Pureupto99per Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    Orange, CA
    YAY!! congratulations!!

I have yet to get an egg from my free loaders... but, I'm trying to be patient. They're lucky their cute and sweet to my son when he feeds them though! hahahaha! [​IMG]

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    LOL! My Sebastopol geese JUST started laying! Temps and wind chill are below freezing and they are LAYING! [​IMG] SOOOO bizarre!!!!

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Apparently noone but the chicken decides when it's time to start or stop laying!

My 10mo old pullets have slowed but not stopped - I still get 2-4 eggs daily from the 5 of them and temps here are in the teens during the day.

I've used the frozen eggs - I just let them thaw at room temp.
    Except for sunnyside up - the yolks are kinda odd, but edible - they cook like any other egg.

8. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Well, poop. I threw them away. Oh well, there will (hopefully) be more!

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Congrats...It has been brutally cold for our area---17* last night with temps below freezing and w/ wind chills it's single digits and one of my 9 month old EE laid her first egg.... [​IMG]

10. Kanthaka

Kanthaka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Here in Erie, PA we have had consistent lake effect snow for days and below freezing temperatures. My chickens are laying every day. Not only that they want to walk around in the snow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by