My chickens are free-loaders! More egg-laying questions!!

kellykate

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Yarmouth, Maine
Ok so my wonderful group of 7 ladies are all approaching 20 weeks -- no eggs yet. Obviously I am counting out the Cochin (huge!) and Sizzle (tiny) --I'm sure they won't lay for a while! No worries--I can wait for those 2.

My Australorp and Wyandotte have red wattles and combs and are nice and big and healthy -- but never squat when I approach or crouch when I pet their back? Do I still have a ways to go with them?

My Campine on the other hand has the opposite problem --she isn't very red at all-- still looks somewhat petite but squats and flares her wings out when I pet her back -- mind you she is probably the most flighty of the bunch and typically doesn't even let me touch!?

Finally, my Dominique and EE really aren't very red and don't squat --I give up!!

I know a watched chicken doesn't lay -- but just curious what signs if any you had before they started. Do they need to have a red comb/wattles AND squat AND sing the egg-laying song??Thanks!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, I am new to chickens, so I have to admit I have no idea about the squatting - I honestly never noticed.

BUT, I did notice the red comb and wattles on my one hen last week. Two days ago I heard a loud carrying-on out in the coop, a "Bwok bwok bwok"-ing noise. I ran out, but no eggs.

So, yesterday, my daughter and one of her friends were out in the coop, and guess what? There was an egg! I got another egg a few hours ago! I'm so proud of her (my hen that's laying)!!!

Hang in there! It will happen!

I got both of my first eggs within a couple of days of the girls squatting.

Although when I had ISA Browns they didnt squat till they were about a year old.. got eggs for a long while before that. but I didnt spend as much time with them, which may have effected them either not squatting or me not noticing.

Squatting is AWESOME not only does it generally mean eggs are coming, it means you can actually catch the evil critters and give them a cuddle (which mine protest to :p)

Agreed on the squating! The particular "lady" who is doing it is typically the most beserko fraidy-chicken -- so it is nice to actually get to give her a little pet and see her up close! Now, I think she is quite sweet and she'll be downright my fav if she lays a darn egg!
lol.png

Don't give up hope! It'll happen when it happens ... remember middle school when every girl wanted their period? Just like that. Only eggs are way better.

20 weeks is the earliest age to begin laying for non-industrial breeds like you have. Be patient! You will have eggs soon! I did have one EE that started at 19 weeks and 6 days... but I have Orpingtons, EEs, and Marans, and many of them didn't start until 22, 23, 24 weeks. It's just normal... the normal range is 20-26 weeks. If you have anyone who is squatting, it won't be too long. However, I had one girl who sang the gg song for 5 weeks before laying. And with my birds, no started squatting until AFTER they had each laid a couple of eggs. They all have their own ways of going about it. I know what it's like to be anxiously awaiting those first eggs! I checked 12 times a day for like 4 weeks before I ever got my first egg.... but be sure that you will have some soon. And it will be awesome when you find that first egg! Sit tight and it won't be long!!

My Black sex links didn't start laying until they were about week 24 but now they are regular. Yours should start anytime. Also they need less protien at this stage> If you are wanting good layers don't feed anything put Laying pellets extra grain just adds to mush protien. Laying formula's now days have all you need add a little sand or verysmall gravel and that's all you will need.

Back
Top Bottom