My chickens are going nowhere!!! "UPDATE" #2

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by scgamecock, Feb 12, 2009.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I am so ticked right now I can't see straight.I come home to a pink notice that someone has complained I built my coops with no building permits and bad smell.Well guess what?Who doesn't smell a little when they get wet?I have my coops up against my property lines which behind me is wooded.The so called "new law" states that you have to have a permit to have chickens on your property and they must be back 40 feet from the back and 100 feet from the front.Also 25 feet from the sides of the property.Further more you must have at least 1.5 acres to even have a chicken in a coop.You can let them run loose and poop in people's yard and there's nothing they can do about it.Well I have .75 acres and my parents have 1.3 acres that they live on beside me.Together we have enough but separate we don't.Actually 2 of my 4 coops are on my parents property.I have to have them gone and the coops down by March 16th or I will get fined.Some busy body had to complain or they wouldn't have come out.Now if this is really the law I can think of at least 3 more people in the area that are in violation of this new law.Half the people in this county are probably in violation.I'm going to fight it and maybe there is some sort of grandfather rule but stay tuned cause this could get ugly.

It seems I am the victim of a 100 year old law that is never enforced.A complaint was made so an investigation had to be made.I won't know anything else til Monday but I think I can work the the agent when I contact her Monday and maybe resolve it.Let's hope and pray.

I just got word from my county councilman that the situation is handled and continue on with what I'm doing.He sent another man out to check it out an since the complaintant did not have joining property and my setup was ok.He said just to forget it ever happened and carry on.I guess me got my vote for next election again.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Good luck in your fight!! I hope you win. [​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I wish you tons of luck [​IMG]

4. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Are your coops permanent buildings? Though most of us don't do it, anytime you erect a permanent building you are supposed to have a building permit. Most people who live in the country are not bugged by it, but there is always somebody who likes to complain about something. From the sounds of it they probably complained about the noise and were told nothing could be done, so they complained to the health dept and zoning board.

If you lose build chicken tractors with wheels then they are cages tarp them with heavy tarp and you have chicken coops. You can get lumber tarps from flatbed suppliers they usually will make them to size for you. Metal carports are not considered permanent in most places. Fence the carport in and attach roll up tarps to sides and back to make a large legal coop. Nothing says you can't put your chickens under your carport of a night.

5. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    FIGHT IT!! The one who complained will surprise you. Its usualy the last person you think would complain. Between you and your parents I think you have enough. Go around to the people that you know have chickens and get them on your side then go to court. Its in there best interest to help you fight it so they should be with you. Good luck. Keep us up to date.

6. HeartLunger

HeartLunger Out Of The Brooder

This "new law" you refer to, I doubt that it is or can be retroactive. Did you have your coops built before the "new law"? If so, I don't see how it can be enforced. Our township is zoned against mobile homes, however there was a mobile set and inhabited before the new regulations and the township cannot do anything about it until the current owners move or pass away.

7. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have a call in to my County councilman and he has helped us several years ago with a sewage issue and hopefully he can help.I have a real good idea who it is and they are actually a family member by marriage and to top it all off they owe me money for a boat I sold them and haven't finished paying for.

8. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Quote:I wasn't home at the time but the code enforcement people said it was a new law so I'm gonna find out tomorrow.The coops have been there for almost two years.

9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet if you build a coop on a small trailer base, such as 4 wheeler trailer, you wouldn't need building permits. Either way, you will be in my thoughts, if I was you, contact your state Vet, NPIP testers, BYCers (just let me know and I'll send in a nice letter about the benefits of owning poultry), then contact animal control, selectmen/woman, and don't forget to contact those you vote for in the Senate. Work work work, keep at it and perhaps an easement on one piece of property or another.
    There has to be a loop hole and you need to get your nose to the grind stone! Knock on the doors of the others that do not have permits...also local media, TV stations love this type of battles, especially where Easter is coming round...No eggs for the bunny!
    Good luck!

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Seriously check out the grandfather clause. That's probably your best bet. Let us know what happens. That really sucks that someone would do that. It's one of my fears living where I do on the fringes of the city but not in it. I know someday I'll face something like that after the city annexes us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by