My chickens are hardly eating the layer pellets

Where do y'all get the Purina brand food?

The layer pellets I have is from a local feed & seed / hardware store that got them from a fairly local feed mill.

BTW...they are eating more of it now that I'm not giving them as many treats. But, I've still been taking them a few grapes every day because they absolutely go nuts over them and it's so funny to watch...LOL

Quote:
Before you race out and get Purina food just thought I'd let you know that mine won't eat it and even the squirrels that raid the feeder won't eat the purina pellets.

Quote:
Before you race out and get Purina food just thought I'd let you know that mine won't eat it and even the squirrels that raid the feeder won't eat the purina pellets.

sickbyc.gif

It's gotta be bad when the squirrels won't eat it!

In 11 years of chicken-ing, I've never had a chicken that would eat pellets of any kind. Even the dogs won't eat them!
We use crumble from the feed store, and supplement with hard-boiled eggs, smashed-up egg shells, oyster shell, a little cracked corn, and whatever the leftover veggie of the day is. All laying hens are laying, except those devil broodies.

Last edited:
I just switched my chickens to pellets and they don't seem to like them. I mixed it with the mash and the chickens just scratch them out and eat the mash. So they will eat the pellets before they starve, huh? I bought pellets because I was told that there would be less waste. I can't see how if the chickens won't eat it.

I think sometimes chickens are reluctant to eat unfamiliar things. But once they see other chickens eating it they'll try it too. Maybe you folks who have chickens who "refuse" to eat pellets just need to give them more time to familiarize themselves with it. I don't think they'd starve next to a feeder filled with pellets. And if they can eat cracked they could certainly swallow pellets without choking.

But if you & your birds are happier with crumbles, there's nothing wrong with that. It just seems to me that it's easier to retrieve a fallen pellet from the dirt than a fallen bit of crumble, and therefore, less wasted feed.

Quote:
Yeah.... I did think of that however while they are pouting they aren't laying eggs, the little brats, and since there is only 4 of them I need all the eggs I can get
smile.png

I have been feeding mine the fighting cock mix and they're eating it and laying quite well. I realise it probably doesn't have enough 'goodies' in it for a balanced layer ration but I supplement it with extra protein like sunflower seeds, yoghurt, cat food occasionally, left over scrambled egg or cottage cheese etc and they seem to enjoy life. Especially when there's a little free ranging at the end of the day.

Mine free range all day are they not getting what they need if they dont eat the feed??? I usually toss them pellets with sunflower seeds and scratch mixed in... they gobble it all up as if it was a treat... I also have feed in the coop which they will peck at while waiting for us to let them out for the day... I also keep shells and grit in the run...They seem healthy to me...

I think their packaged layer feed is formulated to have everything they need for optimal nutrition & egg production. So that even if they were kept confined to wire cages they would stay fit and produce good eggs.

But many of us believe they get a lot of benefit from free-ranging, or at least being in tractors over greenstuff with dirt to dig in & bugs & stuff to supplement their diet. Plus, it's enjoyable to give them special treats like fruit, vegs, scratch grains, cracked corn, etc.

Some theorize that the more treats they get, the less layer feed they eat, and the less eggs they produce. That may be a factor, and if you really need them to lay more eggs than they're doing, you may want to limit their treats. Plus, there is a real concern that overweight hens are more prone to health risks like prolapses. Another good reason to limit treats.

I try to find a good balance. My layers stay in their pens until mid-afternoon, and have mostly their layer feed to eat. They get to free-range for the rest of the afternoon, and eat greenstuff & dig for other goodies. I cannot afford to buy produce just for them to eat, but they do get things unfit for human tastes but still too good for the compost pile, such as melon rinds, apple cores, overripe fruit, bread crusts, etc. And I keep a little cracked corn on hand for occasional treats, and for training purposes, and when needed for catching a reluctant chicken.

My 21 week old pullets started laying last week. I've noticed that they don't seem to want to eat the pellets either right now... Little tootes are still eating the starter and raiding the ducks mazuri water fowl maintence...
I crunched up some of the layena pellets tonight and mixed with their starter crumbles..

I have noticed that sometimes they eat the pellets when they get wet and are mixed with the mazuri that gets wet if hubby turns on the sprinkler and I don't get the food moved...

can I get the pellets to break up it I put them in the blender/??? I did the ones tonight with the end of a ice cream scoop, took for ever...

Oh little stinks also like to sneak the cats Iam dry cat food when they can find it out..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom