My chickens are laying multiple eggs a day. Is this normal?

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
I currently have 10 beautiful hens & 1 rooster. My flock is a mix of different breeds & I love them all. 4 black australorps, 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 Easter eggers, 1 red speckled Sussex, & 1 red sexlinked Novagen. My rooster is a black langshan. My hens are about 7 months old. My rooster is a rescue & he’s about 2 years old now.
My question is that over the last 2 weeks I’ve been finding 11-13 eggs in the nesting boxes! I’ve only have 10 hens & my son & I love to go out multiple times a day to check for eggs so there isn’t a chance for the extra eggs to be ones from the day before. On the days that I haven’t gotten 10+ eggs I’ve gotten at least 1 huge egg from one or more of my gals that’s been a double yolk egg. I’m concerned that my hens maybe over producing & could be hurting themselves in the long run. I know double yolk eggs are common but for a hen to lay more then one egg a day is something I haven’t heard of. Their shells are nice & thick. No discoloration. No strange shapes other then the occasional egg that’s twice the size it should be.
Please help me. I want to be a good chicken momma. Is what’s happening normal? Am I worried about nothing?

Congratulations on your extra bounty of eggs! It is not completely uncommon for a pullet to lay 2 eggs in a day especially if they just started laying recently. This should slow down with time. As long as all of your chickens are healthy, eating and drinking well and the eggs appear normal there is nothing to be concerned about.😊

Congratulations on your extra bounty of eggs! It is not completely uncommon for a pullet to lay 2 eggs in a day especially if they just started laying recently. This should slow down with time. As long as all of your chickens are healthy, eating and drinking well and the eggs appear normal there is nothing to be concerned about.😊
Thank you. They’re all new layers so it makes me feel better that their not hurting themselves. All of my gals seem happy, healthy, & energetic.

I have heard that the hens that lay white eggs can lay two a day because they do not have to go through "the extra step" to produce color.
All of my gals lay either blue or brown eggs. No white eggs. Plus, from day one they’ve layed big eggs. I was expecting their first eggs to be small but none of then layed small eggs. All have been medium, large, or extra large in size.

A chicken cannot “overlay” and hurt themselves. What is bad is if they have to lay and can’t and become eggbound. And yes, pigmentation is something that takes extra energy to produce; one of the reasons why super dark egg layer like marans do not lay everyday. It is not uncommon for the same hens eggs to get lighter throughout the week as she uses the energy to make the darker pigment.

Back
Top Bottom