My chickens are listless and not eating

Do you have lots of biting insects where you are?

Did you get a good look at them for mites and so on or did you stop when they threw up?

So, they may be eating greens and bugs when they free range and just not eating what you feed?

Are they active when free range time comes?

Last edited:
Actually, I have no idea about the biting insects. We live in northeastern ohio, right up against some woods (the chicken coop is actually inside the trees, though still on our property), so probably there are a lot of insects, though I haven't actually seen any.
I didn't really check for mites. Could you instruct me how to do that?
Yes, they always eating greens and grubs when they free range, and they're very active about it, flying out of the run when I open it for them, scratching away all the time. I thought that was a good thing, to supplement their diet.

Last edited:
Well, if they are active about eating when they free range they are probably fine. They are probably too hot during the day and drinking lots of liquid to try and stay cool.

You should still know how to search for mites ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-mites.html) and should worm about once per year. Now is good time to worm because they aren't laying eggs yet.

You don't understand - they're usually very active while freeranging, but these past two days, they just lay around. I won't even let them out today - there's no point. That's not normal, plus all the liquid pooping and the puking, and the fact that they look bloated.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought they were still lively at night...if not we still need to figure this out - maybe someone else has some insight?

Feel free to chime in people.

Maybe they ate something rotted? Something spoiled not just left over, maybe out of the compost heap?

If they are still taking liquids you could always try the old stewed tomatoes and olive oil recipe for clearing crop impactions. I would think it would also create an inhospitable environment for bad bacteria in their digestive tract. Just open a can of stewed tomatoes blend with about two tablespoons of olive oil (or any cooking oil) and a slice of bread. If they will eat that, that is a good sign, then offer again in am and see if they get any perkier, or look for additional food tomorrow.

does anyone have any ideas about what this is or what i can do about it?

Listless, reddish runny poop. Sounds like it might be coccidiosis.

Symptoms
Ruffled feathers.
Listlessness.
Head drawn back into shoulders.
A chilled appearance.
Diarrhea which may have blood in it.

If not treated can lead to mortality.

Last edited:
I was wondering about that as well. It doesn't sound as though they have/had medicated feed. You may want to go ahead and treat for it....it kills fast.

I just wanted to chime in...the "puking" is not sickness. If my healthy hens have had a big drink of water and I pick them up, putting any pressure on their crop, some of that liquid they just drank comes back up. Or if they drink too much too fast, sometimes it comes back up.

I've lost young birds to cocci. Now I feed medicated chick starter and if I start to see symptoms I treat with Corid, but Sulmet works too. Corid was cheaper at my feed store.

Back
Top Bottom