My chickens are nearly grown and I still don't know what gender or breed they are. Help!

Well, I was really hoping to get some info on what breeds they were mixed with, and as you said that even siblings of cross breads look different I thought that pointing out that these two look identical would bring up the idea that maybe somewhere I would be able to figure out what breed they were from their appearance. Because at this point that's what I would like to know: What breed(s) are they? The breeder didn't really know, and I was hoping for some guidance on that. And it matters to me since I will now have multiple roosters and I'll have to decide which of them to keep - if the cross typically has characteristics I don't necessarily want in my flock, it would be kind of nice to know that before I decide which to keep. I'm leaning towards the leghorn/orpington (the white rooster) because I am able to find pretty good information on that cross. If these are, in fact, Giant/RIR I would really like some information on that and I am currently having trouble doing so. I can't even find a single picture of that particular cross, and that matters to me to give me at least a little bit of an idea of what their offspring may possibly look like. I understand they might not all look the same, but at least a slight clue might be nice. If they aren't giant/RIR mixes I was kind of hoping someone might be able to give me some clue as to what they are, then, instead of just telling me what color they are. I'm glad to know that they are technically blue and red, not black and red...but what breed(s) are they? What breed would you perhaps even GUESS that they are? And can you give me a little information on that breed? If they're mainly meat birds or are they good layers? Are they known for aggression and skittishness or are they known as sociable birds? Having a clue about their breed, it seems to me, would greatly help in answering those questions and allowing me to make an informed decision on which to keep and which to find homes for. And as I said, even if the breeder is correct and they ARE Jersey Giant/ Rhode Island Red crosses, I can't find ANY information about that particular cross. Plenty on each breed separately, but nothing on what that particular combination produces. I appreciate assistance with the color and sex, I really do, but I would still really like a little information about their breed outside of "red and blue". I've seen blue and red cornish, I've seen blue and red bantams, I've seen blue and red wyandottes, I've seen blue and red RIRs AND Gersey Giants separately, blue and red game fowl, blue and red Maylay. These all have very, very different breed characteristics, and as I have a small flock and not much room I would prefer to know what I'm getting into since my breeder was mistaken on what she was giving me. I'm not really worried about color -- I already think these two birds are kind of ugly, frankly, but I'm looking for layers who are sociable -- not show chickens. Been there, done that, won the ribbon. Just looking for a pet that will also give me food occasionally. Obviously a rooster won't do the egg part, but will he be a good pet and will his offspring give me eggs? Thank you.

The white one could definitely be a leghorn Orpington cross as it shows characteristics of both breeds. The two red blue birds are probably RIR crossed with a blue based birds, perhaps Americana, EE, andalusian or something like a blue laced Wyandotte.

You may never know exactly what they are. Once breeds are crossed the offspring no longer carry some sense of predictability as far as production as many time crosses can create hybrid vigor, and sometimes you get duds.

It possible to make better guesses after they are fully mature at 1-2 years of age, but even then you will never know. I have one cross of an EE and barred rock that looks exactly like a barred Wyandotte in every way, but of course she's a mutt.

That's the joy of mixed breed bird, each is an individual, even your two roosters that look alike and are probably out of the same parents.

Except that these two red/blue ones (again, there are TWO, a different one in each picture), are in all observable ways exactly alike?? I mean...exactly. As I said, I'm sure it looks like two pictures of the same chicken, but they each actually show a different chicken.

But usually, as you said, every cross breed looks at least a little different! I had hoped at least one picture of a breed would kind of look like mine, at the very least blue/red and huge as a bus! I can't seem to find any pictures of giant/RIR crosses. Any help on that?

And, to definitely show that those are in fact two different chickens (like I said, I know about the white one and the blue one):

Three of these are male. Just look at the feathers on the back. Compare those feathers to the feathers on the back of the solid blue pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom