My chickens are panting?

Calmkl

Chirping
Jan 27, 2021
Northwest Arkansas
They are about 11 weeks old one pullet and one cockerel. They legit look like dogs panting, they are constantly going from sitting to standing while they do it. The cockerel also has some awful poop going on, it's really running and the smell is awful I haven't noticed a cecal, not sure if I spelled that right, poop from him in a bit either but I'm not always around so who knows. He is currently being treated for sour crop so maybe that's why he's having poop problems? He also acts like he's dieing of thirst, draining the water before the girls can get to it. Her crop is doing fine. Their feathers seem messy for a lack of a better term and I feel like more are falling out then should be. They sneeze occasionally but not enough for me to feel like that's a problem. Eyes and nostrils are fine, vent normal. I was giving vetrx but it didn't seem to make a difference and then he got sour crop so I chose to focus on getting that better first. Do to circumstances they still live inside so the "coop" is cleaned regularly and the circulation is good. I have been giving all 3 of them poultry cell the last couple days, hoping that helps. A vet isn't an option at the moment, I work off commission and covid has made it hard to get a steady check. At first I though maybe they were just to hot but I open my balcony door at night to let fresh air in and it getting chilly and they still do it. Tonight my littlest one started doing it as well, she's about 7 weeks old, so I'm starting to get a little worried. Both girls seem fine in the poop area. And besides some bullying of the littlest one they seem happy and active, they eat just fine. I can't decide if I'm over reacting or if there might actually be a problem. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

They are about 11 weeks old one pullet and one cockerel. They legit look like dogs panting, they are constantly going from sitting to standing while they do it. The cockerel also has some awful poop going on, it's really running and the smell is awful I haven't noticed a cecal
He is currently being treated for sour crop so maybe that's why he's having poop problems? He also acts like he's dieing of thirst, draining the water before the girls can get to it. Her crop is doing fine. Their feathers seem messy for a lack of a better term
Can you post some photos of the chicks, their poop and where they are kept?

How are you treating the sour crop issue?

The cockerel is drinking all of the water - so perhaps a larger dish/water station so the girls are going without?

What do you feed including treats?
Do they have grit available?

What is the temperature?

Have you ever treated for Coccidiosis?
Are you in the US?

They stay in a giant bird cage that takes up a good portion of my room, it's dark and I don't want to turn the light on and make them mad to take a picture haha. When I'm home they are out running around and scaring the other animals in the house. I'm treating the sour crop with monistat, can't remember the exact drug name at the moment, following directions I found on another post here. They have multiple water areas so the girls aren't going without.
I feed them Purina flock raisers, not a lot of treats since they are still young. I did give them a little bit of a paleo pumpkin bread the other night. They do have grit available.
The older two were given medicated feed before I got them but the littlest was not and the breeder said they stay as natural as possible so I doubt she was treated for it. I am in the US, Northwest Arkansas temp is currently 45.

I can get a good picture of them and the cage tomorrow. The littlest has gotten all the camera time lately.
I forgot I gave them scrambled eggs with garlic the other day, when we started working on his sour crop.

The pictures of the cage as first thing this morning, please don't judge the mess I sweep like 10 times a day haha. 20210130_114421.jpg Snapchat-2077087945.jpg
Snapchat-308777101.jpg
Snapchat-979469536.jpg

Do they have access to the outdoors?
Feathers are unkempt but they don't look like they are "not well". They need access to dirt for a dust bath and some sunshine.

Is the crop issue resolving? Even if it is, I would finish the course of yeast cream for the full 7 days twice a day like you should be doing.

Do they have access to the outdoors?
Feathers are unkempt but they don't look like they are "not well". They need access to dirt for a dust bath and some sunshine.

Is the crop issue resolving? Even if it is, I would finish the course of yeast cream for the full 7 days twice a day like you should be doing.

It's been rainy so they haven't gotten to go out recently. Think maybe I'll go buy a tub and stuff so they can dust bath inside. Any recommendations on what kind of dirt is best?

His crop seems empty in the mornings but I'm continuing meds till the 7 days are up.

I understand you are struggling getting them outside, but the sooner the better.
You realize if you give them dirt inside you will have a LOT of dust everywhere and I mean everywhere. Not good for you.

It would be best for them to dust bath outside.

Back
Top Bottom