My chickens are scared of people food

My chickens are very weary of new food !! They will usually run as far away as they can from it and huddle together. After a couple minutes, one brave soul always wonders over to test it out and then.... chaos 😂. Mine are picky though and will leave it after a few bites if they don’t like it. I also chop the pieces up so they are really tiny - the tend to try things more often when I do this.
My chickens like:
Raspberries
Strawberries
Cucumber
Cherry tomatoes (squished with all the juices in the bottom of the container - they LOVE this)
Mealworms
Blueberries (only if they are cut up and they don’t like the skin 🤣
Pumpkin

dislikes:
anything whole/big
Mint
Parsley
Basil
Blackberries
Bread
Cheese
Yogurt

Hope this helps !!!

Mine love
Hamburgers
Hot dogs
Rice
Scallop potatoes
Corn
Cabbage
Most veggies except onions
Cookies
Cake
Watermelon
Cantalouope
Most fruit
BUT they love love love
I take a package of crescent rolls (8 triangles) and split each triangle (16) then put a lil smoky senior and roll crescent roll around it. Bake and I have a snack. My chickens will kill for them. They love them more than anything else I have offered.

Mine would much prefer vegetables like tomatoes and zucchini to berries or sweets. They especially like eating it from my hands, sometimed don't eat it at all if I put it on the ground. They especially love if I dump the weeds I just picked, soil intact. They like that soil. If they choose between human food to digging for bugs- their preference would be digging for bugs. They do love if I give them tiny bits of meat

My girls had spaghetti for the first time last night.. They tore it up. Their favorite is watermelon or frozen corn

Attachments

• E202C77A-101E-4B65-A028-07299FFD706E.jpeg
    E202C77A-101E-4B65-A028-07299FFD706E.jpeg
    976.6 KB · Views: 3
Mine are a bit picky too. I thought they would like all fruits and veggies and leftovers but nope... they love

corn on cob
Cabbage within limits
Romain
Strawberries chopped finely only but limits
Blueberries cut up
Grapes love love love fresh and frozen
Tuna fish Love
Sardines Love
Eggs
Canned chicken
Plain yogurt love
cucumbers
Squash
Spaghetti noodles with chopped fruit LOL love.
Of course mealworms dried and fresh
Crickets canned or fresh
Love wild bird feed with seeds, sunflower seeds, raisins, carrots, thyme, oregano and Negro seeds.
But won’t touch leftover people food, They will leave it untouched 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom