My Chickens are Sick

Hardy Hen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
I'm new to this so I'm sorry if I'm doing this all wrong. But today I woke up to go feed my animals and to my horror I found one of my chickens dead. She was a month away from being a year. And just last week another one of my chickens died, but she was very sick. I'm just scared that I'll lose more of my babies. I only have 5 now. PLEASE help me so I don't lose anymore of my babies. Please.

Hardy Hen

I am so sorry for your loss!
sad.png

I don't really know what to do but possibly call your vet and they could advise you.
I will be praying for you and your girls.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Quote:
same thing happened to me, a month away from being a year old, found one dead last night. no symptoms other than some are sneezing. i also posted but no one has really replied....

I have 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Black-Sexed Linx, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Aracauna, and 1 Braham. Their poops have been runny and there has been some blood in them. I also found 1 poop today that was bright green and yellow. One of my chickens has trouble jumping into the coop and she closes her eyes a lot and seems like she's gonna fall over. I tried to call my vet, but they closed early today. I tried other people with chickens, but they just said it's a concidence. I'm going to call the vet and set up an appointment. I just hope my girls make it throught the night. Especially Nellie...

(this is for rooster-red)

Quote:
Bingo. Or there is a roundworm that will show blood in their poop, also.
This is not a concidence... not at all. When you call your vet, ask if you can have a "fecal float" done, meaning, they test a fresh poop sample. Try and have them do this rather than bring the bird in. A lot of them will let you do this. If you just take the sample, it will cost much less (no fees for "looking" at the bird) and you won't be stressing a bird out by taking it to the vet.
Also, ask them if they can treat an entire flock without seeing every member. With my vet, I take a sample in and if we have worms, the vet gives me enough meds for all the birds. Sometimes he needs to see one bird, but he doesn't expect me to haul a whole flock in there.

Back
Top Bottom