My chickens are sick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kenzie, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Kenzie

Kenzie New Egg

Nov 15, 2012
    I have 6 hens and 1 rooster, and I'm not the one who raised these chickens, a friend couldn't take care of them anymore, so now I have them. I've had chickens since I was a little girl and never had any problems with my chickens, EVER, and now they are catching a cold or something. One of my hens was sneezing, and I thought it was funny at first, and she would do it when she was eating, and she was the only one, so I didn't think much of it. Awhile later, I got up close to her and her breathing was funny. She sounded like she had a snotty nose. Now, my other hens are catching it because another hen was breathing the same way. I saw some nasal drip medication at Tractor Supply and I'm gonna get some. Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you for reading!

Kenzie

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Its a viral infection. Most people cull the infected birds, which means put down, because all the chickens will catch it and a lot of them die, the one's that don't are immune for a few months.

Here's a thread where someone had the same problem:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...mycoplasma-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-crd

Its not very uncommon, because it comes from bacteria from wild birds and new chickens/animals...sorry to break the bad news, the crackle from the throat is a giveaway.

3. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    your poor chickie! But yes, I agree with Whittni, viral infection.

Hope your chicken feels better!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by