1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chickens are such scaredy-cats!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country4ever, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    My chickens are getting old. Awhile back, I took down their tall ladder roost and made something lower to the ground. It totally freaked them out. I had to change it back.

Today, I was letting my lame hen back out with the others and put a long board ramp at the entrance, so she could get up and down to the coop better. But wouldn't you know it. They're all outside and won't go in.

I've give them a little while, then I'll probably have to figure something else out. Fortunately, it isn't real cold out (46F).
    Any suggestions as to how to get them to use it? I threw some seed on it, but no takers. I've shaken the scratch can and called out to them (which usually brings them running).......but no dice.

What to do?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You just need to be patient. Your chickens are just more set in their ways than others.

When they see that The Scary New Thing isn't moving, isn't going to come after them and chase them down and kill them, they'll get used to it. Maybe they'll avoid touching it for another couple days, but they will begin using the ramp.

When you introduce anything new, try to do it one thing at a time, giving them plenty of time in between new stuff to get good and accustomed to it before they have the stress of something else new.

Change is hard for people. Just think how doubly hard it is on chickens!

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I probably should have put it down first, with them IN the coup. Now they are stuck outside. I might take it down in a little bit, and try it tomorrow morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by