My Chickens Are Suddenly Gone

If you don't find them at the feed store, you can certainly order them from a reputable breeder online; your choice of hatching eggs or live chicks.
If you cannot, or do not want, roosters you would be better off purchasing live chicks and specify that you only want pullets (females).

If you don't find them at the feed store, you can certainly order them from a reputable breeder online; your choice of hatching eggs or live chicks.
If you cannot, or do not want, roosters you would be better off purchasing live chicks and specify that you only want pullets (females).
Ok thank you! Do you have any suggestions for where to look online for chicks?

But do you guys know any hatchery or store that still has chicks in stock? The breeds we’d like are Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Sapphire Gems, and Easter Eggers.

You could telephone your local feed store to ask (Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc.)

Online, I found two hatcheries that might work for you:

https://www.idealpoultry.com/
Look under Colored Egg Layers for Easter Eggers, and Brown Egg Layers for the others. They don't list any called Sapphire Gems, but the "Blue Stars" should be similar.

https://www.welphatchery.com/
Look under Common Breeds for Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks, and Rare Breeds for Easter Eggers.
I'm not finding Sapphire Gems, but I see "Blue Plymouth Rock" and "Production Blue" (in Standard Breeds) and "Blue Plymouth Tint" (in Rare Breeds).

Welp has a minimum order of 25 chicks, and a minimum of 5 per breed.

Ideal requires a minimum order of $30 in chicks, and they you have to pay shipping in addition. But there is no minimum number of chicks per breed or per order.

I have ordered from Welp once, and Ideal several times. I was satisfied each time, but I might be less picky than some other people. I am satisfied if most chicks arrive alive & healthy, and if most are the correct breed/gender. Yes, there have been some breeds substituted, but I have always indicated that substitutions are fine. And yes, there have been some mis-sexed chicks, but it's been less than 10% of the chicks, which is within the range of accuracy that hatcheries usually guarantee.

Last edited:
Dont count on a goose or large duck protecting your hens. Or a rooster… ive watched hawks swoop in and grab a free range chicken 10 ft from a large canada goose, watched coons drag a duck while the moma was 2 ft away,, sad but its circle of life. Of course i hunt so circle of life involves me too!,

You could telephone your local feed store to ask (Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc.)

Online, I found two hatcheries that might work for you:

https://www.idealpoultry.com/
Look under Colored Egg Layers for Easter Eggers, and Brown Egg Layers for the others. They don't list any called Sapphire Gems, but the "Blue Stars" should be similar.

https://www.welphatchery.com/
Look under Common Breeds for Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks, and Rare Breeds for Easter Eggers.
I'm not finding Sapphire Gems, but I see "Blue Plymouth Rock" and "Production Blue" (in Standard Breeds) and "Blue Plymouth Tint" (in Rare Breeds).

Welp has a minimum order of 25 chicks, and a minimum of 5 per breed.

Ideal requires a minimum order of $30 in chicks, and they you have to pay shipping in addition. But there is no minimum number of chicks per breed or per order.

I have ordered from Welp once, and Ideal several times. I was satisfied each time, but I might be less picky than some other people. I am satisfied if most chicks arrive alive & healthy, and if most are the correct breed/gender. Yes, there have been some breeds substituted, but I have always indicated that substitutions are fine. And yes, there have been some mis-sexed chicks, but it's been less than 10% of the chicks, which is within the range of accuracy that hatcheries usually guarantee.
Awesome! Thank you for the help! I’ll have to check those hatcheries out or possibly go to my local Tractor Supply.

138B5F14-A271-4957-A5F4-4BECC7444A77.jpeg

Ordered some chicks yesterday from Ideal Poultry! I had to get a few more than I was thinking of getting to get the price up to $30 but oh well. It’s probably a good idea anyway just in case some die or turn out to possibly be a rooster. Super eggcited! They ship out Wednesday or possibly tomorrow so I will get them Thursday/Friday. Can’t wait for more chicks! Thank you for recommending Ideal Poultry @NatJ 🐔

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry this has happened to you as we get so attached to these little girls and I know how upset I would be. I suspect they were stolen if there were no feathers? Mind you, I live in the UK and we won't have things that could swoop and take. If they come they leave feathers. We mainly have issues with foxes. When they come there is more feather than chicken left behind.... I wish you well with your new little babies. :love

I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry this has happened to you as we get so attached to these little girls and I know how upset I would be. I suspect they were stolen if there were no feathers? Mind you, I live in the UK and we won't have things that could swoop and take. If they come they leave feathers. We mainly have issues with foxes. When they come there is more feather than chicken left behind.... I wish you well with your new little babies. :love
Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it! I’m really excited for this next batch of chickens but I’m definitely going to be more cautious and secure everything.

Back
Top Bottom